cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1242 - VLAN

rgs.sch.im
Level 1
Level 1

Well basically my situation is as follows: we are using 40 Cisco AIR-AP1242 around 3 building sites for our school ( Ramsey Grammar ) which all are secure WEP and working fine however we would like to have two locations open and Virtual LAN direct to a Proxy ( 10.3.0.2:80 ) for the perpose of 6thForm Students to access the internet ONLY ( not to beable to ping or see any local servers etc ) therefor the Cisco needs to give ip's to the kids laptops with a different mask than the rest of the network ie 192.168.3.* ( 255.255.255.0 ) where as the school network is 10.3.*.* ( 255.255.0.0 ) and the kids don't have to put the proxy setting in there internet explorer... is there a way ( would i require a firmware update for this and where do i get it?)

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

rgs.sch.im
Level 1
Level 1

Locations are :

1 x Cisco Air-AP1242 in the 6thForm Lounge & 1 x Cisco Air-ap1242 in the Lecture Theatre

All I require is a VLAN setup to Allow internet access only Direct through Proxy without people able to see or ping etc the normal network servers and pc's

rtford31
Level 1
Level 1

You will have to trunk all the ports your APs are connected to and setup separate VLANs on the APs, one for the students and one for the staff.

Example: On the APs you will have to configure 1 SSID for the Staff and 1 SSID for the Students and assign them to different VLANs, bridge group and enable Public Secure Packet Forwarding.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fibm_c/bcfpart1/bcftb.htm

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card