Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1522SB client access on slot 2 5Ghz radio

wireless wlc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to connect directional antenna on slot 1 5Ghz radio on the 1522SB and use it for client access ? As per the deployment guide there is a note that Omni antenna is required on slot1. If i connect directional antenna on slot 1(how will the AP know if its omni or dierctional antenna which is connected anyway)  , will it work ?

regards

Joe

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That's a good question, which I questioned myself. Here is my 2 cents. If you are using it for clients(universal),  Omni in theory will cover more area. The directional is more for supporting back haul. I suspect, Cisco puts this mention in the document so that people think omni = client , directional = back haul. The AP has no idea what antenna is what ...

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Good one George, exactly like how i assumed it would be. Looking for someone who already did this and worked. In my case the "client" is a single transmitting device with an antenna at a height and aligned to the directional antenna on the 1522SB, do not need any other coverage other than for this single client, thats why thinking about using directional.

regards

Joe

I dont think you will have a problem. But test it ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________