Views
Helpful
Replies

AP2800 migration from old WLC 2504 to new WLC 3504

ShahIrwan9489
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Now my existing APs (around 51 units) are connected to wlc 2504. And then I plan to add new AP (around 49 units) and new WLC3504. Im plan to take out the wlc2504 and running wlc 3504. What am i curious is Do I need to reset all 51 units the old APs make them connected to new WLC3504.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If they are running different versions, yes. The APs will need to reboot when they move from the 2504 to the newer 3504.

Now WLC is not configured as HA. Means after shut down wlc2504, then I just need to reboot the AP to make them join to wlc3504 instead go to one by one AP and press reset button?

Don't "shut down" the 2504.
Change DHCP Option 43 and configure the APs to point to the new 3504 -- way easier.

what Leo said

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Change DHCP Option 43? Means I need to configure different IP address for both WLC?

No.
Currently, DHCP Option 43 is pointing to the 2504.
So change that value to the new 3504.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the AP groups, RF Profiles, flexconnect groups and WLANs are all the same and the two WLCs are running the same version then no need to reset the APs.

There will be an interruption of service (like 1-2 pings dropped) when the APs migrate between the two controllers

If the WLCs are running different versions then yet the APs will reboot when doing the upgrade so plan on 15min outage to each AP as they download new code and install it.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I means the wlc is not configured as HA. So mean I need to configure IP address new WLC same with the old WLC. Then shutdown the old wlc and boot up the new one?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card