cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP2800I - device capwap0 entered promiscuous mode 5.255 with discovery type set to CAPWAP_DISCOVERY_TYPE_UNKNOWN(0

helpdesk155
Level 1
Level 1

We have just purchaed AP2800I   

When we plug it in we are getting:

Discovery Request sent to 255.255.25[12/19/2016 01:13:16.3400] device capwap0 entered promiscuous mode
5.255 with discovery type set to CAPWAP_DISCOVERY_TYPE_UNKNOWN(0[12/19/2016 01:13:16.4700] device capwap1 entered promiscuous mode

CAPWAP State: Discovery
[*12/19/2016 01:13:35.2701] Discovery Request sent to 255.255.255.255 with discovery type set to CAPWAP_DISCOVERY_TYPE_UNKNOWN(0)

The Switchport on the switch is as follows

description conected to master ap
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 202
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As per log......

it looks like it has CAPWAP image. So first you need to join this AP to a WLC by using any one method.

Check : http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/70333-lap-registration.html

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

I have too this issue, I dont have a controller.

Could you explain that how to use this AP without a controller.

Then you've probably bought the wrong AP. There are models which come with a standalone image (now with Cisco Mobility Express, this is the one you want) and models with a CAPWAP image, which require a running Cisco Wireless Controller (could be another 2800 with the Mobility Express image or a standalone Controller like the 5520).

Hello
Various options to join a LAP to a WLC.

1) on the switch
config t
ip forwarder udp 5246
interface vlan xx(wlan subnet)
ip helper address (WLC address)

2) Use DNS via dhcp lease - AP will try to join - CISCO-CAPWAP-COTROLLER.localdomain  (localdomain is your domain set in dhcp)

3) dhcp option 43 in your dhcp server ( list wlc to connect to)

4) Defined locally the WLC from the AP itself

clear lwapp private-config
lwapp ap hostname STAN
lwapp ap ip address x.x.x.x  255.255.255.0
lwapp ap ip default-gateway x.x.x.x
lwapp ap controller ip address x.x.x.x

Lastly the LAP doesnt need a trunk port to conenct only an access port.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card