cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple Clients often dissasociate and reassociate immediately at same AP

AStubinski
Level 1
Level 1

Our wireless infrastructure is based on WLC5520 with 1852i APs. I can see ipads (not IOS dependend) iphones often dissasociating and directly reassociating on the same AP. Normally that´s no problem, but this break leads to an interruption of, for example, a Zoom session. Does anybody knows this phenomenon ? How to avoid ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

willwillwang
Level 1
Level 1

cisco have a best pre for apple.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/Enterprise_Best_Practices_for_iOS_devices_and_Mac_computers_on_Cisco_Wireless_LAN.pdf

i use 5508 and 2802 3802 2702 and also happen this problem,i  use the docs advance and ios client forget other ssid,the problem have solved

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
A little bit more information is required. Have you identified if the issue is with a specific SSID and not others? Are the device roaming or not? SSID using 802.1x, ask or open… all have issues? Session timer disabled or set at what? You able to replicate this and find out exactly how often a device is re-connecting.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

In our setup we have 3 SSIDs. SSID_1 = Apple devices, SSID_2 = Windows devices (both authorized with 802.1x), SSID_3 = guest devices, auth. with PSK. Problem is in SSID_1 with Apple devices only. Session Timeout is enabled, 1800 secs. Session Timeout in SSID_2 is also enabled with 1800 secs, no problems and no interrupts with Windows devices. Can´t replicate this behavior, it happens randomly. For example 4 times a day, with interrupts after 35 minutes till 1 h 36 min connection time. Strange, isn´t it ?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@AStubinski wrote:

Normally that´s no problem, but this break leads to an interruption of, for example, a Zoom session.

How about other video calls, like Apple's Facetime Video or other apps?  Does roaming break the session?

No experience with other video calls, will test Facetime tomorrow. Users only reported problems with Zoom. Perhaps Zoom is very sensitive ? Is Zoom known for such a behavior ? No, it´s not roaming which breaks the session. The apple client is connected to one AP, disconnect and connects again immediately to the same AP. The apple client is not moved. Any idea ?

willwillwang
Level 1
Level 1

cisco have a best pre for apple.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-6/Enterprise_Best_Practices_for_iOS_devices_and_Mac_computers_on_Cisco_Wireless_LAN.pdf

i use 5508 and 2802 3802 2702 and also happen this problem,i  use the docs advance and ios client forget other ssid,the problem have solved

Thx a lot. We neglected the controllers configuration since a while, cause everthing worked. Now it´s the right time to achieve improvement. Thx for your hint.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card