Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple sleeps and authenticates again

We have wlc 5508, 7.6.130.0, 2600, 1600 APs on our network, we are using CWA (mac-auth + radius).

After apple device  go to/out sleep mode (energy saving), it need to authenticate again instead of RUN

state and big session and idle timeout on controller. 

3 Replies 3

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12036121/ise-12-ios-device-re-auth-device-drops-wifi

Hi Guys 

I wanted to add to this as well .. You might find that this behavior changes between iOS ipdates also if you have certain apps in use. For example when you launch the Citrix app the radio never goes to sleep but the screen will go dark. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

Konstantin I was also initially use ISE to send a Radius override with a session timeout value. I did this with different values for different authorization policies. I think this somehow meant ISE was controlling the session, not the WLC. So when the iPad dropped WiFi during sleep, the controller lost it's state, and ISE terminated the session. To resolve it, I remove the Reauthentication timer from ISE and let the controller provide the session timeout value. Now, when the iPad goes to sleep, it still drops WiFi, but the session state is maintained in the WLC, the iPad just reauths successfully with ISE. So the user doesn't have to hit the web-auth page again upon waking the device, WiFi is just up and connected.

On a side note, I found out that the iPad sends wireless beacons out every 10 minutes. So essentially, it reauthenticates with ISE every 10 minutes. I have not hit my idle timeoute value yet, but I'm afraid that because of this 10 minute beacon, even a sleeping iPad will not be idle long enough to be disassociated.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card