Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple to Google device communication

Here is the scenario: I have a student who has 3 devices, an iPhone, a Google Chromecast, and a Google home. She registers all 3 devices in ISE, mydevices, they show up in her portal and on my dashboard correctly. All 3 showing the same, correct subnet. When using the Google Home app on her iPhone she cannot communicate with either device. It gives the error on the Google devices that they are not on the same network, even though they are. Is this a Bonjour to Google communication issue? Is there something on my Cisco WLCs that I need to change? What am I missing here? Has anyone had a similar issue? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Adam

2 Replies 2

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You can block inter-device communication on a per SSID base. This is configured in the Advanced properties of the SSID.
If that feature is disabled, then it might be a mDNS issue, although I think it's not required if the clients are in the same subnet. In any case, check https://mrncciew.com/2013/03/27/configuring-mdns-on-wlc-7-4/

ajc
Level 7
Level 7

mDNS/Bonjour Intervlan Traffic from Chromecast to Apple devices (smartphone/ipad) does not work and Google will not fix it (I have checked this multiple times). It only works if you are using macbook or win 7 with chrome browser and use this:

cast1.png

But in your case, I suspect you are missing the SERVICE STRING, see attached file. For all the SSID's, I am using the default-mdns profile where I added that Service String. SAME VLAN should work no matter what kind of device you are using.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card