cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

arp delay during wifi client roaming

BelSkorpio
Level 1
Level 1

We have on several type of WLC controllers (2500, 5508, 5520) in different remote sites all the same problem.

When a wifi client roams from 1 LWAP to another LWAP we notice:

- a very consistent loss of 2 pings, if we ping from a wired device to the wifi client

- no loss of pings when we ping from the wifi client to a wired device

So from the point of view of the wifi client all is fine.

Our wifi clients all use DHCP and I know that the WLC acts as an ARP proxy for the wifi clients.

Is it possible that there is some kind of ARP delay in the WLC between the capwap tunnels of the different registered LWAPs when a wifi client roams ?

18 Replies 18

Hey, I think you're onto something there. :)

Our wireless devices are indeed all Windows 10 devices.

I've just tested with my android smartphone and during the roaming process I only loose 1 ping  when doing the ping from a wired device. I can't ping in the other direction because I don't have a ping tool on my smartphone.

Thanks for the hint. I will do some further investigations.

As far as I remember, in the Public firewall profile, ICMP is completely blocked, while the Domain profile (which it switches to, once it can connect it's DC) allows ICMP inside the same L2 network by default.

**bleep**, you're good.

We have on all our Windows 10 wifi clients the firewall ON but with the allowance of ping as an exception.

I've just switched off the firewall  completely on the wifi clients and no pings are lost anymore from a wired device.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks, just edited my above answer, as I realized that the E-Mail Reply feature removes words between " " signs.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card