Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP Problem through WLC for bridge APs

Clement BONNAL
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have some APs registered on my WLC. My APs broadcast a WPA 802.1x network.

Clients are a non-Cisco WLAN bridge AP, on which some wired devices are connected.

The bridge AP with MSCHAPv2 credentials can successfully auth on the SSID through the WLC and a Radius server.

The problem is only one of the wired devices connected to bridge, is able to traffic on network. When this devices stop talking, next wired device can traffic, etc..

I've resolved the problem by adding the config network ip-mac-binding disable command on the WLC, so now all wired devices can traffic at the same time through bridge AP, then Cisco AP, then WLC, then network, then server.

When the devices contacts the server (which is on same subnet), server adds devices IP address in its ARP table. So during few times packets can be exchanged in both directions.

--> But, when clients stops talking during few minutes, and ARP entry on the server arrives at maximum lifetime and is cleared, server cannot contact device anymore.

Indeed, I try to reproduce this with my PC:

- (1) If I try to ping IP address of the bridge it is OK.

- (2) If I try to ping IP address of one of devices behind the bridge it is NOK. I can see an ARP packet leaving my PC, but the answer never comes.

- (3) If I ping my PC from one of devices behind the bridge, it is OK and my PC adds ARP entry in its table.

- (4) So if I retry (2) step, it is OK now, only during preceding ARP lifetime.

- (5) When ARP is cleared, if I add a static ARP entry in my table, I can ping the device behind the bridge again.

So, it seems that WLC blocks ARP resolutions coming from the wired network to a wireless client behind a bridge.

As I have about 600 clients, it is very heavy to add 600 static ARP entries in my servers tables, so do know a parameter on the WLC which permits this traffic ?

Regards,

Clement

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello

What wlc model do you have ? Read up on passive client
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.4/configuration/guides/wlan/config_wlan_chapter_011111.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello

What wlc model do you have ? Read up on passive client
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.4/configuration/guides/wlan/config_wlan_chapter_011111.html

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hello George,

I have a cluster of 2504 WLCs.

Thank you for your answer, I think you're true it may be the answer to my problem.

I will test it and come back here.

Clement

Was that the fix ?

Yeah,

You're true because following the doc, it is exactly what we encouter.

I enable global multicast, and passive clients on WLANs, but, as the network is in production, I can't activate pim dense-mode on the router, at this time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card