cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT - WIRELESS 11.N

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn more about wireless 11.n with Cisco experts Jeevan Patil. Jeevan has been with Cisco for the past 10 years. For the first 5 years he was a software engineer working on security, network management and wireless. In the past 5 years Jeevan has been the Product Manager on various initiatives such as Client hardware, CCX, standalone(Autonomous) software, WLSE hardware and software, Access Points 521 series, 1250, 802.11n etc. Currently Jeevan is focused on 802.11n standards and Access Points.

Remember to use the rating system to let Jeevan know if you have received an adequate response.

Jeevan might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through December 23, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

20 Replies 20

Hi Jeff,

Here are the answers to the three questions:

1. 40MHz channels in 2.4G: Cisco APs do allow you to configure 40MHz in 2.4G. However we obviously dont recommend deploying it in that fashion anywhere other than homes, labs or secluded environments given the limited set of channels. In the final 11n standard; there was an optional feature introduced which was about protection mechanisms in 2.4G whereby if an AP operating in 40MHz detects clients in 20MHz then it has to automatically back down to 20MHz. Cisco deemed that this was really not a feature that would not be deployed by typical enterprise customers and therefore do not implement this.

2. 11n Greenfield mode: This is a feature that requires newer chipsets and therefore newer APs

3. 1200 series APs: Sorry I cannot divulge any roadmap plans in this forum. If you reach out to your Cisco account representative; I can work with them on the details.

Regards,

Jeevan

Hello

i have a project with 12 AP-LAP 1552 With 2 WLC 4400,so i would like to know how would this 12 APs fits in the network?am looking for diagram scenario related to this design,i.e how these APs and The 2 WLC are phisicaly connected?Vlan things like that...

Thanks

jcartes
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have a big problem with mobility group, well i have two WLC 5500 with diferent management ip in diferent subred, so do i have one ssid, the same to the two controller but with direferent VLAN, when i do roaming to one AP asocieted to a wlc1 to a AP associeted to wlc2 this can not work i lost coenctiviti in layer 3 but am still conected in layer 2 with the AP of WLC2.

am follow all the configuration, have ping betwen WLC, the virtual ip is the same.

what can i do ?

when you look at the show moblitiy summary, do both WLC show as up?  can you mping and eping between the two WLC?

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

syed.raza
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing AP 1250 with wireless clients authenticating to radius server running on MS IAS server.   The users are supposed to be authenticating with AD.  So far I have been running into problems and unable to get any user connected via Wireless LAN.

I would like your feedback if the configuration is good on the AP. Do I need to tweak it to work?   The plan is to install one and then install the rest of the 3 more APs in the infrastructure.   I would like to get the one up and running first. 

I would like any suggestion to enhance my configuration to make this work.   Also any design guidance and help for IAS configuration will be appreciated.

Config from AP

!

hostname cisco1-ap

!

aaa new-model

!

aaa group server radius rad_eap

server 10.1.2.25 auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813

!

aaa group server radius rad_acct

server 10.1.2.25 auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813

!

aaa group server radius rad_admin

!

aaa group server tacacs+ tac_admin

!

aaa group server radius rad_pmip

!

aaa group server radius dummy

!

aaa group server radius rad_mac

!

aaa authentication login default local

aaa authentication login eap_methods group rad_eap

aaa authentication login mac_methods local

aaa authorization exec default local

aaa accounting network acct_methods start-stop group rad_acct

!       

!

dot11 ssid ABCD123

authentication open eap eap_methods

authentication network-eap eap_methods

authentication key-management wpa

guest-mode

infrastructure-ssid optional

!

power inline negotiation injector installed

!

!

bridge irb

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

encryption mode ciphers tkip

ssid ABCD123

station-role root

rts threshold 2312

no dot11 extension aironet

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control

bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

interface Dot11Radio1

shutdown

!

interface FastEthernet0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

speed 100

full-duplex

bridge-group 1

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

!

ip http server

ip http authentication aaa

no ip http secure-server

ip http help-path http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/prodconfig/help/eag

ip radius source-interface BVI1

!

radius-server attribute 32 include-in-access-req format %h

radius-server host 10.1.2.25 auth-port 1812 acct-port 1813 key 0 XXX-XXX-XXX-X

radius-server deadtime 5

radius-server vsa send accounting

radius-server vsa send authentication

bridge 1 route ip

!

line con 0

line vty 0 4

!

daniel.keith
Level 1
Level 1

What are the future plans for upgrading the WLSE to handle the 1250N radio management? I manage roughly 450 AP's most 1210's but now we have a deployment of 60 1250's planned but now I find out the WLSE can't do radio management on them thus rendering my location manager basically useless. Can I expect a patch or upgrade soon or will I need to find another solution?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card