Views
Helpful
Replies

Associate AP with Controller

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I've installed a WLC at one of our remote sites and trying to get the APs local to that site to associate with this controller.So everything is local to each other.

WLC Model - 2504
Software Version - 7.4.121.0

AP Model - Platform: cisco AIR-CAP2602I-E-K9   ,  Capabilities: Router Trans-Bridge

I know I can use option 43 in DHCP to let the APs find a controller but not sure if this is used to find controllers that are remote to the APs. Can someone advise on the best way to get the AP registered with my controller? At the moment I can see the AP in CDP on my switch and it picks up an IP address but when logging onto the controller the AP is not there

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Let's try it again .. This link covers option 43 for IOS and regular windows dhcp servers .. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/97066-dhcp-option-43-00.html

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can someone advise on the best way to get the AP registered with my controller? 

DHCP Option 43.

As long as the subnet of the AP can ping the WLC, it should work.   This means your routing should be done right.

Hi Leo,

IP connectivity is all good. AP is also picking up address no problem, however still not registering on controller or appearing. I have attached what I have for option 43. The IP address of the controller is 10.21.0.246

Do I have the correct value in Option 43? Screenshot attached.

Thanks

Give this link a read on option 43 .. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

Can you post the link please. Seems to be missing.

Thanks

Let's try it again .. This link covers option 43 for IOS and regular windows dhcp servers .. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/97066-dhcp-option-43-00.html

Hi George,

Thanks for that link. After a few reads over it I got my option 43 configured correctly. APs now associating with the WLC.

Just wanted to update everyone.

Cheers

Great ! 

Thanks for your support of the rating system ..