cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

At what point is a wireless controller needed?

Orochimaru
Level 1
Level 1

I work for an MSP and also do sales into some enterprise clients, I have a client with 4x 3602 APs and another 17x 3702 APs ready to be installed.

A colleague of his told him he needs a wireless controller now, he wants to know if that is a requirement, or just best practice (his colleague couldn't really elaborate why)

He has 3x 3750X (48port, POE) currently installed.

My current understanding is that he doesn't NEED a wireless controller at this point, but that it would just make managing things a lot easier, is that right or am I off-base here?

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have pros and cons - how is your exiting AP managed?

WLC will give the advantage of many if you have more AP, centrally Managed and Other features are you mentioned.

you can find good document here :

https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/what-is-wlc-in-networking/

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Orochimaru wrote:

he wants to know if

Whenever someone asks "if" a WLC is a requirement or not they are trying to justify the cost.

WLC is not just to simplify the management of the APs but the configuration of the APs, the operation of the wireless.  It makes life a lot easier if the WLC is configured correctly. 

When a number of autonomous APs boots up, for example, what channel are they all broadcasting?  WLC will manage those channels and the radio power properly.  Autonomous APs do not have that luxury.

Wireless operators with WLC, not just Cisco-branded ones, did not just jump into the WLC bandwagon for $hits-n-giggles.  

With Cisco recommending people to go to the 9800, a lot of people are offloading the 2504 into the used market.  The 2504, for example, can support up to 75 APs.  The 5508 can support up to 500 APs.  

Keep in mind also that autonomous access points are old and really never used in large environments any more. With a controller, you reduce overall operating cost as upgrades and configuration management is simplified. Also roaming between aps is smoother since the controller has visibility of the RF environment.
Anyone in sales and or pre-sales should really have a good understanding of the pro’s of centralized management. I haven’t seen or touched an autonomous ap in like 10 years.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Wes Schochet
Level 3
Level 3

Mobility Express is also an option.  I don't have a lot of experience with it personally, but based on the scale of what you are looking at, it seems like it could be a decent and somewhat more affordable solution.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card