Views
Helpful
Replies

Back UP Cisco Controller

m.dridi89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have two controllers 2504 in different sites so differnet subnets  and i would like to make the wlc's back up each other  so when wlc 1 goes down the aps from that wlc  join the wlc2 .

can you please tell me how that could be done ? if the ap had to be flexconnect ?

is HA  need to make the managment subnets the same or could be done in our case (differents subnets) ?

53 Replies 53

I mentioned on the other post that you can't change a part number. You can't convert one unless you have 50 ap license. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ok so i do have to buy a 2504-ha-sku  or to use 2504-50-k9 since 50 is the maximum number is that correct ??

50 AP license is the minimum number to change a controller to be an N+1.  Now is this what you want?  Don't just buy things because you need to understand what you need first. Why not speak with your local Cisco rep or a Cisco partner you use for help. You really need someone to come in and understand what you have and then they can provide various options. This is your best route to take to be honest. 

-Scott

-Scott

ok i understand this but i want to know all the option 

- 2504-5 could be 2504-ha when i purchase a license from cisco ??

and in that case it be able to keep my 15 ap work in site ??

something not clair here

i read that when u have 2504-5-k9 you can buy a license for ha-sku so what do i need 50 ap for ??

I don't know what your reading. The fact is, you can't change a 2504-5 to be and HA sku. You can make it a redundant controller for the other one but you need to buy license to account for all your AP's. If you want to make a 2504-5 into an HA as a backup WLC, then you need a minimum of 50 AP license and this will provide a max ap count of 75. 

Please speak with your Cisco rep or Cisco partner so they can help you figure out your design and what you really need.  I don't want to tell you to buy this or that and then it doesn't do what you assume it was suppose to do. 

-Scott

-Scott

OK i will go with ha so i will rehost the license and buy a 15 total 50 those license should go to the primary is that correct and keep the secondry with 0 ??

How many AP's do you have and how many license on each WLC. 

-Scott

i have 15 on wlc1 and 11 on wlc 2

how to make the N+1 ?? and i suppose in this case one wlc will join all and other as backup in the ha-sku case ?

So you need to buy 15 ap adder for wlc1 and either 15 more for wlc2 or if you want to make that an HA, then you need to by 40 (25, 10, and 5).

-Scott

-Scott

hi,

why 40 ?? i have 15+ 15 +5 =35 

this is the case when both are still active -active is that correct ??

scott please tell me the case when i made my wlc2 as ha-sku in that case what license number should i get for both 

thanks

Make it simple.... Buy two 2504 HA controllers or buy two 2504-25 and put one in each site.  Now you have redundancy at each site.  All you have to do is configure the HA controller.

-Scott

-Scott

hi scott,

I have two last question please answer me clairly:

if i had a 5500 wlc and want to switch it to HA is it enagh yo buy 50 ap license and then became a HA with the fonctionality of 500 ap with  timer of 90 days  ??? and am i gonna lose the license then of 50 ??

to configure N+N witch mean both back up each other should i configure the same setting as N+1 ?? if no tell me what are the setting??,

i hope u give me a rich answer thx

It's hard to answer your questions, because you keep changing what you want. First you wanted to have a backup without having to buy another appliance.  Then you based about buying license for your existing 2504's and then your now asking about 5508's.  You need to understand what you want to do first before your question can be answered. 

-Scott

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12538351/back-controller#comment-10586666

-Scott

This is my opinion of this thread: 

1.  Judging by the fact you're posting this possible RFI/RFQ question, this is meant for a Middle East or an Arab country; and

2.  Judging by the fact you're unable to provide a network diagram, I'm suspecting you're just a "messenger". 

PS:  I want to know who I'm dealing with, particularly how they're thinking. 

Let's start from the beginning.  Provide the following information:

1.  How many sites?

2. Describe the LAN & WAN of the client.  I want to know ALL the different WAN speed available of every site? 

3.  How many current APs? 

4.  Describe the LAN backbone?  100 Mbps?  1-, 10- or 40 Gbps?  100 Gbps? 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card