Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Band select

Hi !

What type of band does you can recommend to use? Only 2.4 ? or only 5.0?

I know that 5.0 its more faster than 2.4 but, what happens with modern devices thats only has 802.11n?, they will connect to the WiFi or may present problems?

We use an WLC 4404 with aprox 70 aps, using webauth authentication.

Please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a loaded question.  It is not easy to say one or the other without understanding and knowing the physical and wireless environment of the site in question. 

If one was living in the moon and you're the only human being there, then 2.4 Ghz is fine because of range.  But if one is living in a building or high-rise condominium in Central Park, then 5.0 Ghz is appropriate because the amount of 2.4 Ghz all around and blaring at full power.  

I know that 5.0 its more faster than 2.4 but, what happens with modern devices thats only has 802.11n?, they will connect to the WiFi or may present problems?

All 802.11n rated wireless NIC are backward compatible.  They maybe rated for 802.11n but they sure can talk 802.11a/b/g without an issue.  But be aware that not all modern devices support 802.11a/n.  In Australia, for example, you'll find a lot of high-end laptops which only has 802.11b/g wireless card and low-end laptops have 802.11a/b/g/n.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is a loaded question.  It is not easy to say one or the other without understanding and knowing the physical and wireless environment of the site in question. 

If one was living in the moon and you're the only human being there, then 2.4 Ghz is fine because of range.  But if one is living in a building or high-rise condominium in Central Park, then 5.0 Ghz is appropriate because the amount of 2.4 Ghz all around and blaring at full power.  

All 802.11n rated wireless NIC are backward compatible.  They maybe rated for 802.11n but they sure can talk 802.11a/b/g without an issue.  But be aware that not all modern devices support 802.11a/n.  In Australia, for example, you'll find a lot of high-end laptops which only has 802.11b/g wireless card and low-end laptops have 802.11a/b/g/n.  

Thank you so much =)

now.... I have another question...

On a WLC we could have some AP's with two bands and anothers with only one band (2.4 or 5) ?

I mean because of the structure... we are on a University and we have diferent campus, ones are buildings, another ones are just one floor (a big one) with some rooms... so... thats the reason for my question.

kind regards!

anothers with only one band (2.4 or 5) ?

Old APs come with dual band and single band.  Single band APs are only 2.4 Ghz.

Newer generation of APs, particularly the ones supporting CleanAir, are dual-band.  Cisco has stopped selling APs with single band radios because of low sales volume (and it sure doesn't make any sense to sell single-band APs in an Enterprise environment).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card