Views
Helpful
Replies

Block communication between different WLANS

Ramon1980
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have on our network 2 different wlans. One is called "work" and the other is called "guest". Both have different interfaces connected to them. I can login to "work" and have a different ip address as that of "guest", so far so good. What i want to do now is that when im on the "work" ssid i cannot connect to "guest" and vica-versa. 

Whenever i do a ping now from "work" to "guest" it goes through and i want to block this.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? (We have a cisco 2500 series wireless controller)

Regards,

Ramon

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Normally this kind of separation will be kind of a default result because standard practice is to terminate the SSIDs/WLANs on separate VLANS/subnets , if then routing is correct such as guest(vlan) only allowing Internet access you will (already) have what you want,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You say you get different IP addresses - do you mean in a different subnet?
If so, then I assume you already have the WLANs connected to different VLANs.
But if you have (for example) a router terminating both those VLANs and routing between them then obviously you have connectivity.
You can use ACLs and/or firewall to keep those VLANs separate.  It really depends how you have your network setup.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card