Views
Helpful
Replies

C9115 DFS and radar detection

sshahul12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

For getting regulatory approval in special project, my customer did some tests on C9115AXI-E with EWC installed and they report fail result!

i guess something on configuration caused failure.

according to standard table 4.2.6.2.2 both beginning and end of CAC ( channel Availability Check ) failed

according to standard table 4.2.6.2.5 both channel move time ( 10s ) and closing transmission time ( 260ms ) failed.

can you please help me how can i check if all DFS parameters configured properly and generally this device is compatible with mentioned standards ?

thanks

Shahul

9 Replies 9

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Verify DFS related settings according to this guide :
               https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/16-12/config-guide/ewc_cg_16_12/dynamic_frequency_selection.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Rich R
VIP
VIP

1. What country was this being tested in?
2. What is the full model number of the AP you were testing?
3. What version of software were you using?
4. Did you check you're using the correct regulatory domain hardware for the country it's being used in?
https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/assets/prod/wireless/wireless-compliance-tool/index.html
5. Was the EWC WLC configured for the correct country matching the regulatory domain?
Also see https://cae-cnc-prd.cisco.com/pdtcnc/#/

Hello,

Model is C9915AXI-E

Software version is 17.6.5

AP is configured with EWC 

configuration is attached 

country is UAE

I did same regulatory test few years ago for AIR-AP2802I-E-K9 and all passed but for c9915 , laboratory saying on DFS  test , AP didn't detect radar signal according to standard timing.

all configuration are default and they didn't change any parameters, they just configured EWC and AP to turn on WiFIs.

thanks

Shahul

all configuration are default and they didn't change any parameters
config shows:

wireless country GB
ap profile default-ap-profile
 country GB

So running a technically "illegal" configuration for UAE so a good starting point would be testing with a valid correct configuration with the correct country code.  If you still get the same results then you'll need to open a TAC case with the details.

C9115AXI-E is the correct model for UAE from a regulatory domain point of view so that's good.
That model already has UAE official approval as per http://www.cisco.com/web/dofc/18603526.pdf so you might want to discuss with the regulator too - I would assume it passed their tests to get approval.  You could ask for a copy of their certification test results.

Hello

thank you for checking the config file but i don;t think DFS and radar detection behavior of the AP will change if we change country to UAE, although i will ask laboratory team to see if they did test with different country 

Do you think DFS features of C9115 is so advanced comparing to older model, suppose AIR-AP2802I-E , so that  for testing the AP we need special consideration during the test? what they said is that after sending radar signal AP didn't change the channel during time period that is in standard definition tables.

Regards

Shahul

Regulatory domains and country settings are there for a reason.
Will they make a difference to this test? - I don't know.
But if you're going to test then at least do the test properly.
Or since your regulator appears to have done it already - reference their test results rather than trying to re-invent the wheel.  Why do you even have to test it when the regulator has already certified it and issued an approval certificate?

Hello Richard,

thank you for sharing your advise on this, but what do you think about the DFS test? may the Smart-DFS feature cause this issue? or can it be because of high channel bandwidth ( i. e. 40 , 80 or 160 Mhz ) ? 

i appreciate if you check the images i sent in previous message and advise what is our mistake in configuration or their mistake in doing test? 

Thanks

Shahul

Hi Shahul
Sorry I'm not an expert on DFS behaviour/timing and respective country regulations.
If the lab says it's not behaving as per the regulations, and have evidence to support that, then your next step is to open a TAC case and let TAC check what they've done and escalate to the wireless BU if necessary.

Good luck ...

sshahul12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

thank you in advance, but as per laboratory engineer reported , they changed country to AE and result was same. i know product has UAE approval but this is for special project that they do their own test - i don't know how this product get approval , can i say their analyzer and radar frequency generator  maybe too old and can not detect Cisco new technology? I attached a part of the lab report , as you see out of 5 DFS test only one is passed.  I really surprised how this AP can not pass DFS tests, while last year i gave an AIR-AP2802 to same testing company and all tests passed without any issue. is this something related to configuration?

Thanks

Saeed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card