Views
Helpful
Replies

C9130AX-EWC provisioning troubles

EC2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Trying to set up a brand new 9130-EWC as a replacement for my Mobility Express network in my home.

I power it up, launch the Cisco Catalyst Wireless App, scan the code, and I'm getting the message "Connection to SSID 'CiscoAirProvision-0890' failed.  I'm using a Pixel 4 XL running Android 10, not sure if that's my issue, as the app only shows support up to Android 9, but my laptop doesn't see the provisioning SSID on the air either.

I have tried consoling in, and running the Day0 wizard via the CLI, both basic and extended, but I can never get the WebUI to respond... can't even ping the IP address I've assigned.

I have the Mobility Express network still up and running, so I set up a little isolated bench network so this guy doesn't see other controllers. I haven't set up DHCP or DNS on that bench network... do I need to? 

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
When setting up the EWC, boot the ap and make sure the ap gets an IP address or else the provisioning SSID will not appear. It is also a good idea to factory reset the ap if necessary… hold the mode button and power up the ap. Wait for >20 seconds until the led flashes red, then release the mode button. Keep in mind, if the ap does not receive a valid DHCP address, the provisioning SSID will not appear.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Can you post your boot up log from the console? Interested on the output toward the end of the boot.
-Scott

You should see something like this with your ap getting an ip address prior to the SSID being broadcasted:

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]:
No startup-config, starting autoinstall/pnp/ztp...

Autoinstall will terminate if any input is detected on console

Autoinstall trying DHCPv4 on GigabitEthernet0

Num of cpu cores 4
Maximum number of AP's supported 100

Acquired IPv4 address 10.11.206.58 on Interface GigabitEthernet0
Received following DHCPv4 options:
dns-server-ip : 10.11.250.112
-Scott

Thank you Scott.  That was helpful.  The 9130 WLC was very slow to pull an address, but it finally did... and the provisioning SSID still never appeared, but I was able to login in to the web UI over the wire.

Where I'm at right now, is trying to get the code on the 9130 updated.  In my bench network, I'd taken one of my 3800 ME APs, and put him into CAPWAP mode... he joined the 9130 WLC at first, and I initiated a software upgrade via TFTP to the 17.2.1 code.  It seems the 3800 took that image but the 9130 AP and EWC did not... so now the 3800won't join the WLC any more.

The message I'm getting in the WLC GUI is:

install_add: START Fri Jul 10 16:22:02 UTC 2020
Jul 10 16:22:07.012 %INSTALL-5-INSTALL_START_INFO: R0/0: install_engine: Started install add

FAILED: install_add : Default profile addition failed due to no response from wireless side
Jul 10 16:22:17.897 %INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: R0/0: install_engine: Failed to install_add package , Error: install_add : Default profile addition failed due to no response from wireless side 

So, 'no response from wireless side' ... I have an SSID profile created, but it's not appearing on the air yet... I'm assuming that's the issue, going back thru the config guide to see what I missed.

Don’t mix and match. Only have the 9130 on that subnet no other AP’s. Post you boot up, I want to see what the host name looks like and also if you see the startup wizard or not.
-Scott

Don’t worry about upgrading until you get the ewc up. Then you can upgrade the image. Also, don’t keep adding aps to try to get the image upgraded because that is not the proper way. So log the whole bootup and attach that to the thread. Make sure it’s complete.
-Scott

Jacob Zartmann
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having this problem, too... EWC gets an IP address, but I'm unable to ping it. ARP is OK. Can't see provisioning SSID and can't access the EWC via IP at all.

The EWC must have internet access!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card