Helpful
Replies

c9800-40 upgrade from 16.12.06a to 17.03.05b failed

Netzgruppe SCC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

when installing, the following error message appears:

wlc01#install add file tftp://spy/C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.03.05b.SPA.bin activate commit
install_add_activate_commit: START Sun Dec 11 12:48:06 cest 2022
Downloading file tftp://spy/C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.03.05b.SPA.bin
Finished downloading file tftp://spy/C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.03.05b.SPA.bin to bootflash:C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.03.05b.SPA.bin
install_add_activate_commit: Adding PACKAGE
install_add_activate_commit: Checking whether new add is allowed ....
FAILED: install_add_activate_commit : Super package already added. Add operation not allowed. 'install remove inactive' can be used to discard added packages

The packages.conf will not be changed. What can i do? Attached are the console recordings of "dir, sh boot and more flash:packages.conf"

MfG Dieter

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvq07097

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look like packages install, due to bug some reason packages.conf not change.

follow the below steps :

check the content of  C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.03.05b.SPA.conf

1. copy bootflash:packages.conf  bootflash:packages.backup

2  copy bootflash:C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.03.05b.SPA.conf  bootflash:packages.conf

reload and check

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Im having the same problem. But Im confused about where the new SPA.conf file comes from ?

I mean, I only download SPA.bin from CCO. When I try to install it, the above mentioned error happens, but that does not give me another SPA.conf file to work with in the bootflash.

What am I missing from this solution ?

/Thomas

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Netzgruppe SCC wrote:

FAILED: install_add_activate_commit : Super package already added. Add operation not allowed. 'install remove inactive' can be used to discard added packages

This is a known "feature" with IOS-XE (the process will not rename the packages.conf file).

My fix is the similar to @balaji.bandi

rename bootflash:packages.conf bootflash:packages.conf.00-
rename bootflash:C9800-40-universalk9_wlc.17.03.05b.SPA.conf bootflash:packages.conf

Don't forget to check if you need to install SMU, APDP or APSP.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I've not seen that error on 17.6 or 17.9.
But I always copy the .bin to bootflash: and install from there (which also allows you to verify the file before attempting install.

By the way - TFTP is slow and insecure - anyone still using it should be learning to use SCP, 100x faster (especially with bulk-mode) and secure.

@Rich R - this we only see if we upgrade from 16.X code some how dont like it...but when you upgrade 17.X to any version that works as expected.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Rich R
VIP
VIP
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card