Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 - Radio Configuration

Trbo90
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have question about Radio Configuration on 9800 model. When you go to Configuration > Radio Configuration you have multiple options like Network, Parameters, RRM... Similar options are also available when you create RF profile.

So my question is, if one set of parameters are configured globally (Configuration > Radio Configuration) and we have different values configured in RF profile, and that RF profile is attached to RF Tag and to AP as well, which configuration is going to be applied to client? Global config or "more specific" RF tag config?

Thanks,

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That will depend on each wireless network design. 

We have configured specific RF Profile based on certain criterium.  

For instance, we have several sites which cannot use UNII-2e and UNII-3 but other sites can, we have two sites which can only use 8 channels.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Kind of 'appendix' to other reply :   You can always have the C9800 configuration analyzed and or validated  with the CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories!

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

To answer the original question the site specific parameters will override the global parameters I believe.

Trbo90
Level 1
Level 1

@Leo Laohooour wireless network design is same for all locations. All APs are tagged with same tags/profiles. Custom RF tag is created and applied as well, so we are not using any default tags.

Like Rich said, question was will specific parameters override the global? Do you agree with him?

@Trbo90 wrote:
Like Rich said, question was will specific parameters override the global? Do you agree with him?

Child config will override parent config.  I agree with @Rich R.

Trbo90
Level 1
Level 1

Ok guys, I don't know how I missed it in the first place, but I found some official document...

RF Profiles in AireOS allowed selective override over a subset of AP’s RF and RRM parameters from the Global configuration level. When assigned to an AP group, the member AP’s of that AP group took on the RF Profile configurations and modified how RRM treated them. This remains the same in IOS XE and the C9800. 

https://content.cisco.com/chapter.sjs?uri=/searchable/chapter/content/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_C9800_rrm_dg.html.xml

Thank you all for your time and support!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card