cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9800 via Prime Infrastructure: site tags?

fhk-cwempe
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to to configure our new 9800 controllers with Cisco Prime Infrastructure.

But there is one thing I cannot find.

On the controller itself I can add policy, site and RF tags to my rules:

2020-11-11 16_19_09-a-02-wlc01__ Cisco C9800-40-K9 - Configuration - Tags.png

But in Prime I do not the the option to add the site tag:

2020-11-11 16_21_30-Prime Infrastructure - Cisco Catalyst 9800 Configuration - cpi.campus-it.fh-koel.png

This results in dynamically created site tags for each new access point on the controller.

2020-11-11 16_22_13-a-02-wlc01__ Cisco C9800-40-K9 - Configuration - Tags.png

Am I missing something or is this feature just not implemented, yet?

7 Replies 7

fhk-cwempe
Level 1
Level 1

btw: I created a little graphic that  helps me keeping track of which template is used in wich template.

20201028 Zusammenhang von Policies und Tags in CPI und WLC.png

(created with https://excalidraw.com/)
Maybe this is useful for somebody.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I’m if it’s not there, then it has not been implemented yet. In Prime, there are features that are not implemented for IOS-XE, so either reach out to your Cisco SE or look at some release notes for what is supported.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The feature is implemented, just not in the way you'd expect, and how we're used to from AireOS.

In Prime, go to Configuration -> C9800 Configuration Model.

There you'll find the same configuration workflow, as you see on the C9800.

Because the names are all different I am not sure if the Site-Tags are really available in Prime.

I think they could be called "Flex/WLAN Group" here.

At least the other Tags are called "Groups".

But it looks like "Flex/WLAN Group" is just the equivalent to "WLAN-Groups".

And even if these were the Site-Tags I can only deploy these if I add a "AP Deployment" and select "Flex Based Deployment".

So for now each deployed "Rule" creates a new generic site tag on the WLC.

2021-07-14 12_03_22-a-02-wlc02__ Cisco C9800-CL - Configuration - Advanced.png

2021-07-14 12_04_43-Prime Infrastructure - Cisco Catalyst 9800 Configuration - cpi.campus-it.fh-koel.png

So I figured it out by eccident.

"AP Deployment" becomes "Site Tag" after you apply it to access points.

2021-07-14 15_58_43-Prime Infrastructure - Cisco Catalyst 9800 Configuration - cpi.campus-it.fh-koel.png

2021-07-14 15_59_35-a-02-wlc01__ Cisco C9800-40-K9 - Configuration - Access Points.png

But it looks like you still cannot assign a Site Tag if you use Rules/Filters to apply profiles/tags.

Deploying a APs on 9800 from Prime, is a bit different from deploying it on the 9800 directly.

As you see yourself, AP deployment becomes the Site tag, which in a way makes sense - you deploy APs at a site, not "in general".

The "Flex/WLAN group" is uniqie to prime. Here you map the Flex Profile to a WLAN Profile Tag, such that you can tag a different VLAN, using Flexconnect, depending on site.

When using the Guided AP deployment setup on 9800, and instead of chosing Advanced, choos Basic, you'll get the somwhat the same setup, with Site specific settings.

Remember that the 9800 works best but configuring different Site profiles, rather than having all APs in the same. Each site will create a new WNCd-instance, and having all APs in the same WNCd will lead to unexpected behaviour of your 9800.

When using C9800 Configuration Model, I need to define all WLAN Profiles, Policy Profiles, WLAN Groups (Policy Tags), etc in Prime. Is there any chance PI will discover these from a C9800 like it was done with AP-Groups? Or an IOS-XE focused Lightweight Accesspoint Template Feature?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: