cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 240AC and 1850i coexist in same VLAN?

maweigel
Level 1
Level 1

i have an existing network of 1850i access points with Mobility Express. 

Can i add 240AC access points to the same VLAN? 

Can they coexist in the same VLAN, or even join to each other?

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as they do not "see" each other.

How to i achieve that? e.g. what should i filter?

Get a wireless placement design done correctly.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You are probably talking about a mixed wireless environment : it is not advisable to do that because then you have to allocate bands and channels manually to avoid conflicts.Also the 250AC can not join a mobility express based controller. Better is to use the single controller only (wirh compatible capwap APs) , tothe have the controller regulate all the wireless network resources,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Unfortunately, this is kind of complicated.

This is an existing installation of dozends of 1850i. Now a few more APs should be added. 1850 are not available any more, so i have to use 240AC. I can add them, so they do not see the others on the RF side. My problem is, if they can be on the same VLAN on the wired side.

I also cannot just replace all the existing APs.

I don' think it will be a problem  if they use the same vlan in essence but then another problem could arise for unique address management for clients. I would use another VLAN. The overall solution is not ideal : If the wireless network keeps groing , then go for the 9800 controller and compatible APs. You can already start with the virtual controller , if desired ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

The technical details of the SMB products are not well documented anywhere so not possible to say whether they're using any of the same protocols on the LAN side but I would be prepared for the possibility that you might need to keep them on separate VLANs for example if they both use the same VRRP group by default.

i guess just about every mobility express installation faces this question at some point in time.

Has really nobody ever tested this?

- Perhaps it's also worth nothing that ME technology is also EOL : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-2700-series-access-point/eos-eol-notice-c51-738143.html

Including 8.10 as last software version. The document proposes the EWC capable AP's , which contain the 9800 as a 'small form factor'

M.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card