cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 2700 Series AP and 1700 Series AP be installed in the same network?

Not applicable

Hi,

Please clear my below queries.

1.       Can I use 2700 and 1700 series AP together with this controller? Currently I am using 4 models with this WLC2504. (AIR-CAP1702I-D-K9, AIR-LAP1141N-A-K9, AIR-CAP1602I-N-K9, AIR-LAP1041N-A-K9)

2.       How many APs require to support 300 users? Currently I am using 7 APs.

3.       How many user should connected in one AP to provide better throughput. (Currently One AP connected with 40-50 users. I am facing high latency and drop age issue.)

Regards

Rajinder

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Currently I am using 4 models with this WLC2504. (AIR-CAP1702I-D-K9, AIR-LAP1141N-A-K9, AIR-CAP1602I-N-K9, AIR-LAP1041N-A-K9)

Not recommended best practice. 

Can I use 2700 and 1700 series AP together with this controller?

As long as both units have the same Regulatory Domain. 

How many APs require to support 300 users? Currently I am using 7 APs.

Depends on the traffic.

How many user should connected in one AP to provide better throughput.

Depends on the traffic.

Not applicable

Hi Leo,

Please find the attachment of my APs traffic.

Can you please suggest me 7 APs are enough or we need more APs to split the traffic.

Regards

Rajinder

Depends on traffic means e-mails, web browsing/IM/chats, video streaming, voice calls, etc.

Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for all your opinions,

My all users are from technical, analysis & developers and they using video conferencing, videos, downloading applications. also I am connected with same network and getting high latency and drop age. 

Now I am planing to Buy 3 more APs after that I have total 10 APs and connect 30 clients in each AP. I hope this solution help me.

If any more solution/suggestion you have please share with me.

Regards

Rajinder 

Not necessarily. In rare cases you could actually make your wifi worse by adding more AP to it. This depends on your design and the amount of walls and their substance.

Also your current client mix can play a big role, for example if you still have 802.11a/b/g clients, they can make your wireless really slow and I recommend to replace them.

See this document for recommeneded settings in a high density wireless:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1250-series/design_guide_c07-693245.html

Take special note of the sections "Planning", "2.4 GHz / 5 GHz Channel Reuse" and

"Wireless LAN Controller and Feature Specific Configuration Recommendations". I recommend to read the whole document though, as it contains a lot of knowledge.

I'm fairly sure there is a slightly newer version of this document, but not much has changed since :)

[Edit]

Found the newer version and replaced the link

It really depends on what you want to use the wireless for. As Leo wrote, if it's "just" e-mails, web browsing/IM/chats you should be fine (I suggest to take 2702). If you need to do voice calls or other kind of real-time traffic (VDI for example) or lots of video streaming you will probably need more APs.

Please note, at least with the 2702 (not sure about the 1702) you can utilize the WLC feature "Application Visibility and Controll". It's a kind of QoS on the wireless side (no need to configure anything on the LAN side) which allows you to give certain protocols a higher priority over other protocolls. Please check if the WLC 2504 supports AVC first, not sure about that.

In any case, AVC is optimization, enough APs is a baseline requirement :)

Also remember, the transmitted amount of data will increase in the future, probably not decline.

Here is my 2 cents.  You have some AP's that are over 30 clients. You know what type of application and how they might use the wireless. Have you asked the users for feedback or have you tried to connect to one of those AP's to see for yourself how the experience is?  People have different experience levels but at least actually associating and seeing for yourself is a good baseline. 

As far as features, the data sheet would list the difference between the two AP's. if for example you have a poor placed 2700, that will not work well in your environment compared to a properly placed 1700 and vice versa.

What I have seen and experienced in my past is that AP model is transparent to the end user as long as their experience on the wireless is good.  You can have the 3700's and if users can't do work or their experience is not good, what good is it.  

AP placement, density, RF health, including client device health and a solid firmware and config is what is required.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card