cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can AP monitor mode help determine cause for over-active 5G channel changing?

AllanGrah
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeing in my AP logs and the controller SNMP logs that my 5Ghz channel is changing a lot the past few weeks. (with rising complaints of disconnects)   This is occurring on what seems to be almost every AP on this small campus of 6 buildings, using 2 WISM2 controllers supporting maybe 300 or so 3702 AP's at this campus.
I've disabled ED-RRM but the situation persisted.   The DCA is (was) at it's default setting of 10 minutes so I went ahead and changed that to 12 hours which I'm told is Cisco Best Practice.
Over the next 12 hours or so, I did not have a single 5Ghz radio reset or channel change.   BUT, I don't want a band-aid, I want to know what was causing the channel-changes.  (new radar in the area, or other 5Ghz interference, etc)

Can I use an AP in Monitor Mode to help determine whether something is blasting 5Ghz that might somehow be affecting us all of a sudden.   I'm at a static, 1 business campus with no recent infrastructure or code changes.  (8.2.166)    This campus has been very very static for 10+ yrs with no significant business neighbors.   Pretty much in a space by ourselves on good acreage.

Thanks in advance.......

15 Replies 15

MarkGunn31675
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there. Have you done a simple active survey (Ekahau Sidekick, Metageek, Fluke/NetGear One Touch device) to check for and determine channels in areas and all possible source s of co and adjacent channel interference? RRM also has the tendency to often times pace 2 AP's in same area (within 2-5db of each other) on same channel/PL's? May need to static assign crucial AP's (those that cannot channel changes/power adjust due to device density/location.

Are your campus AP's all Omni? We had this issue here at Disneyland when In first got here and alleviated it by swapping omni antenna AP's for many more directionals, adding more AP's in gaps and then adjusting overall power levels/channel plans for all. We had some issues with media (cameras and other high power RF devices that kill the 5Ghz spectrum but those are few overall.

Based on your location you dont have the outside RF interference sources we have here at Disneyland so I would look internal to your network plan first and then tune to survey findings. Hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card