cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Access AP, How to Reset?

ppaskowsky
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco aironet 3502i access point which I am using with a 5500 Wireless Controller. I was configuring the AP for flexconnect and accidentally enabled PPPoE authentication - but never set configured login details for PPPoE.

Now when the AP boots up it tries to use PPPoE but fails - it never even looks for an IP address. I have no way to get the AP connected to the controller again.

I tried logging into the AP via console, the AP gives me output but I never get a login, even when I hold down the Mode button during startup.

I also tried holding the Mode button and waiting for the AP to boot with its default IP (10.0.0.1) and connecting to the AP via telnet, but I was unable to connect or even ping with my PC on the same network configured as 10.0.0.2.

What can I do to set this AP back to defaults, to become a normal DHCP client, and reconnect to the wireless controller where I can reconfigure it?

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Convert the AP to autonomous using the "Mode" button method and re-convert it back to controller-based IOS.

Do you mean holding down mode while the AP is booting, and then using a TFTP server to reload the image? Where do I get an image for my 3502i?

Download the autonomous IOS (aIOS) from the Cisco website.

Follow this proceedure:   Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

The downloads appear to be done at the momoent so I can't provide link - there is a 3502 IOS image available now.

Try TFTP server (10.0.0.1-15) reload provided by leolaohoo with the 3502i_IOS renamed .default.

If all fails, let us know and I'll jump into my lab to find you some console commands.

I'm using the Aironet 3502i AP in Lightweight mode, should I reload the "Lightweight AP IOS Software" image to reload the AP? Will this set the unit back to defaults and clear all past configuration?

Thanks,

s

Yes if you convert to IOS and then back to Lightweight it should clear config - well most of it.

Via console, could you provide more flash:env_vars ?

I'm still interested with the 'more env_vars' command however you can clear settings using 'write default-config'.

I ended up RMAing the AP, everything is working OK now. Thanks!

Nice one! 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card