cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping to or connect in LAN controller in packet tracer

chukwuma
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using Packet Tracer and Everything was working just fine in a network I'm building.. Not until I wanted to add a wireless functionality to my network.
I then introduced a CONTROLLER to that switch,..gave it an IP addresses and a default gateway corresponding to a Vlan (subnet).

But my challenge now is I can't access the controller from the PCs browser(i.e the GUI), even after assigning the same subnet IP address to the PC.
If I try to ping the IP address of the controller, it also fails.

Please I really need our help.

I attached a diagram of the network here

WCL NEW.PNG

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The topology does not look right, configure a port in access mode, assign it to same vlan as controller management vlan on the switch and connect the PC to that port and then try accessing, provided you can ping the controller from switch first. I don’t know if this tool provides service port on controller, if it does then you can connect PC directly to service port and then access controller as well. 

-hope this helps-

View solution in original post

Ping WIRELESS PC to the AZ-RT01 fails because PC belongs to vlan 1 but its default gateway (router AZ-01)  is in vlan 10. 

Regarding Wireless LAN controller, I deleted one you have, drag new one, connect PC to it, change IP of PC to 192.168.1.x to match default IP of controller,.  Now , you can set up new WLC to meet your wishes.  

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

ammahend
VIP
VIP

A common mistake is for switch vlan 1 is considered as untagged but for controller vlan 1 is considered tagged with vlan 1 (not the same thing) , so lets start there, whats the native vlan you are using between switch and controller, try using something other than vlan 1 and match vlan on both sides and see if it works.

-hope this helps-

Thank you very much for this response, I sincerely appreciate it.
but as you see in the diagram i posted, i connect directly to the
controller with a PC. So there is no way I could change the native vlan
between them. (but if there is a way around there please let me know)

Thank you very much

The topology does not look right, configure a port in access mode, assign it to same vlan as controller management vlan on the switch and connect the PC to that port and then try accessing, provided you can ping the controller from switch first. I don’t know if this tool provides service port on controller, if it does then you can connect PC directly to service port and then access controller as well. 

-hope this helps-

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Those are tricky in PT. you can find and open a wireless controller sample in PT.   Or you can zip your file and attach it here.

Regards, ML

I have tryed all i could. Went through all my lectures again. Yet i cant ping from the PCs' to (or log into) the controller to be able to set it up.. I need that help please.

Also, i cant ping from the WIRELESS PC to the AZ-RT01.

The zipped file of the topology is attached here. Just focusing on the a ARIZONA Site

Please, help a brother. Thanks in anticipation. 

Ping WIRELESS PC to the AZ-RT01 fails because PC belongs to vlan 1 but its default gateway (router AZ-01)  is in vlan 10. 

Regarding Wireless LAN controller, I deleted one you have, drag new one, connect PC to it, change IP of PC to 192.168.1.x to match default IP of controller,.  Now , you can set up new WLC to meet your wishes.  

Regards, ML

This is very very helpful!!

Best regards

karthikR
Level 1
Level 1

Hey brother, Did you understand the cause for the issue you posted earlier ?

Yes I have

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card