Views
Helpful
Replies

cant browse with cb21ag card

cventicinque
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Hope someone can help me with this. I am connecting to a cisco aironet 340 ap. When I connect with my 340 or orinoco card, I have no problems.

When I connect with my new Cisco a/b/g card, I can ping my dns servers but, I can not browse. IE will not pull up any pages. If I activate my wired connection, I can browse fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Chris

6 Replies 6

kecampbe
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of ideas.

1. Check on the Setup >> AP Radio Advanced page. Check the Ethernet Encapsulation Transform setting. It probably needs to be set to "RFC1042"

2. Check the version of firmware on your AP. The current release is 12.05. If you are running something older than 12.04, you might consider upgrading.

Kent.

Kent,

Thank You for your reply.

1. I will try to check this setting. It is a property of the cards driver?

2. I read through the forums and saw where updating the cards firmware solved lots of problems for other users. I then looked through cisco's site but, could not find a link to newer firmware. Do you have a link?

Thank You, Chris

1. Actually you don't have to worry about the "Ethernet Encapsulation Transform" setting on your client. This setting is only in the access point. You can find it by browsing to the Setup page and then look in the bottom-right corner of the screen for the AP Radio Advanced link.

2. The downloads are accessible at:

http://www.cisco.com/kobayashi/sw-center/index.shtml

Click the Wireless Software link, and browse in that section.

Kent.

Kent,

1. I have never used a browser to config the AP, just a telnet session and I dont remember seeing any advanced radio settings. I am not sure if the 340 ap has a web based config utility but, I will try this.

2. When I use option 1:Cisco Wireless Software Selector, I am only offered drivers, not firmware. When I used option 2: Cisco Wireless Software Display Tables, I did find this link http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/aironet_firmware_CB21AG to the 12.04 firmware. Do you know if 12.05 is available w/o a TAC case?

Also, I can't figure out what my current firmware is. I assume the firmware upgrade utility will tell me what firmware is currently on the card?

Thanks again for you help, it is greatly appreciated, Chris

Access Point Configuration Question:

If you've never used the browser to configure your AP, then I suspect that you are using a different model than the one that I assumed. I had assumed AIR-AP340, but it could be a different 340 product like a bridge or a base station and those have different interfaces. Let me know the model number on the bottom of the access point.

Finding Firmware:

The 12.04 and 12.05 versions are for the AP340/350/1200 devices that are running VxWorks.

For client firmware, my suggestion is to download the whole Install Wizard package. The easies way is to use the wireless software selector:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/WLAN/wlplanner.cgi

The current release for the CB21AG card is labeled as: "2004-09. Client Adapter Install Wizard 1.2.04 for 802.11a/b/g (CB21AG and PI21AG) client adapters. Supports Windows 2000 and XP. Includes NDIS driver 1.2.04 and ADU 1.2.04."

I looked throught he download area, but I didn't see individual firmware/driver files available. But I think the Install Wizard is the better way to make sure everything is up to date.

Kent,

I downloaded and ran the following file:

WinClient-802.11a-b-g-Ins-Wizard-v1204.exe

assuming this would allow me to update my driver and firmware for my card.

When I launch Cisco Aironet desktop Utility after the reboot, it tells me the driver version is 1.2.0.3.

When I go into device manager and look at the properties of the card, the firmware revision is blank.

Am I doing something wrong. Do you know why the card is not updating?

One problem I am noticing is that Cisco Utility advanced statistics screen is showing me incrementing frmames received with errors and crc errors.

Thanks alot, Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card