Views
Helpful
Replies

Capwap/Lwapp AP join WLC to a specific AP-Group

andres.lorat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Group, how are you?.

I'm working on a wireless network deployment and need that the APs when join the WLC automatically connect to a AP-Group.

We are discovering the WLCs configuring in the AP directly with the commands capwap/lwapp(capwap ap controller ip add) , Can I configure the AP to belong to a group of AP when the CAPWAP tunnel is established?.

Please, let me know your opinion about this issue.

Thanks.

Andrés.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Let me give you my scenario:  

I have >100 sites.  Each site is it's own AP Group.  A group of my colleagues have built this script (which involves an SQL database) which we populate with the serial number of new APs, site and AP group which the AP should go.  

Without touching the AP, the APs get automatically assigned to the right WLC, assigned the right hostname and location field and then assigned the correct AP Group.  

All of this is done by polling all the WLC (4 WiSMs) using SNMP and using PERL script to run the appropriate commands.  

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is a manual option currently. This has to be manually done when the ap has joined by making the change from the GUI or the CLI. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott, thanks for your answer.

Then, it isn´t  possible to perform pre-provisioning of AP-group before join the wlc.

Thanks.

Andrés.

No... The reason is that the AP has to join first, then it downloads its image and reboots.  When it joins the WLC, the image has a default configuration and uses the default ap-group or out of box ap group.  It's easy enough r to bring up a site and just move all he AP's to whatever group you want. 

For now, it's a manual configuration.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Let me give you my scenario:  

I have >100 sites.  Each site is it's own AP Group.  A group of my colleagues have built this script (which involves an SQL database) which we populate with the serial number of new APs, site and AP group which the AP should go.  

Without touching the AP, the APs get automatically assigned to the right WLC, assigned the right hostname and location field and then assigned the correct AP Group.  

All of this is done by polling all the WLC (4 WiSMs) using SNMP and using PERL script to run the appropriate commands.  

Leo, how are you?,  Thanks for your answer.  Good solution!.  I never work with scripts in WLC i need to search info about the scripts.

Thanks for your help.

Andrés.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card