cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9800, is it possible to configure SSID join prioritisation?

steve.blunt
Level 1
Level 1

We have  a customer who is experiencing "issues" (unrealistic expectations) in respect to the preference clients join to previously connected WLANs. Specifically in room 9105W APs, these broadcast a Cisco User Defined SSID (for individual device sharing) and a generic Gust SSID. The vast majority of clients automatically re-connect to the Guest SSID rather than the UDN. The easy fix I know is to turn off the Guest SSID, I'm not sure its possible to configure the Cisco wireless network to steer/prioritise clients to prefer to join one SSID other another when both operate in the same spectrums, perhaps make the Guest SSID 2.4 Ghz only, low data rate and TX lower low, ultimately its the end device which makes the join decision.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- No , that's not possible , the client can always choose to connect to an SSID , either by it's owner or not.
     Usually selecting an SSID  is done on the wireless client itself , using  a wireless profile and or with using priorities (e.g.);
     on company devices , the use of them could be automated or provisioned for instance , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Exactly this is 100% a client decision and each operating system/device may use different criteria for which SSID to join.  Mostly they just join the last SSID they used, but if they "see" one SSID before another then they might join that one even if it wasn't the device's  first choice.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not possible. 

However, there are several ways to minimize staff from using the Guest SSID: 

• Daily password change to Guest SSID
  • Broadcast Guest SSID in an area where guests are and do not broadcast the Guest SSID all over the place.

steve.blunt
Level 1
Level 1

Many thanks all, I'm closing this now as I think the only tolls we have to try and influence client SSID selection are: configure the "preferred SSID" to present clients with a more attractive choice by: using 6?5 GHZ channels that are preferred by the client (search order), set the TX power levels higher than 2.4 GHz, use a higher mandatory data rate, and for the "secondary" SSIDs use 2.4 GHz, lower TX power, low or unfeasibly high data rate and see how it goes

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card