Views
Helpful
Replies

CCC provisioned SSID to single AP

trapasso
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Curious to find out what people are doing when assign SSID Profiles via CCC.  Yes the 9800 is being managed by CCC.

I am on a University campus.  Most of our SSIDs are global, so across our whole campus.  But we are trying to manage/discourage rogue APs by offering to run the SSID(s) our academics require on our wireless infrastructure.  Our Hierarchy is quite basic, Campus / Building / Floor.  Assigning Network Profiles in this Hierarchy the floor is the most granular site I can assign these custom SSIDs but I want to isolate these custom SSIDs to maybe 1 or 2 APs on the floor.

Any thought or suggestions?

3 Replies 3

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Im assuming CCC means Cisco Catalyst Centre.
There are two ways to do this dependant on the version of CCC

Split the floors to only include the APs that need the extra SSID and then assign a different wireless network profile - its messy trust me, but is only method on some versions of CCC.

Newer method is using AP Zones, where you assign a tag to each AP you want to have different SSIDs
then under the wireless network profile assigned to the building/floor you update the AP zone section.

This method also works if need different RF profile than the rest of the APs on the floor if using AI RRM

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Haydn,

Thanks for your response.  
Yes CCC for Cisco Catalyst Center.  I was going to accept having to apply the custom SSID to the entire floor instead of splitting the floor.  I agree that would be messy and it would cause issues to our mobility analytics and traffic flow reports.

I am running CCC 2.3.7.5 and AP zones will do the trick.  I did not notice this in the user guide of the new version of ccc.

trapasso
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Haydn,

Thought your solution will solve my problem, looked promising, but unfortunately it did not.  

The first issue was that when I tried to create the AP Zone it would not display the SSID I created until I added that SSID to the Network Profile.  So when provisioned all APs in the site attached to that network profile will broadcast that SSID.  

When the APs I tagged the the device tag I configured with that AP group received only that SSID, which might be helpful in certain instances.

Also for those APs I tagged for the AP zone, I want all the existing SSIDs from the profile to also be broadcast.  So everything from the Default group of SSIDs plus the custom SSID.  I guess not a big deal, I can just recreate them again in the AP zone, but kind of a pain.

The issue to be solved is to not have the custom SSID being broadcast to all APs in all the sites that Network Profile is attached to.  I really don't want to have to replace the default tag on all the APs to a new tag I create.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card