Views
Helpful
Replies

Change VRID - Cisco AP 1562

ciscoservices07
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

I have a environment with VRRD in the gateway router to implement failover between links (fiber and 4G) with the mac address 00-00-5E-00-01-01. Now I want install five Cisco APs 1562. The problem is that the VRID of the virtual interface of Cisco mobility express it´s the same of the gateway router. How can I change the VRID of the VRRD cisco mobility express.

Best Regards,

Bruno Barbosa

5 Replies 5

sremk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Bruno,

When we talk about Mobility express, there are two ip address. One for mobility express controller and other for ap itself. By saying vrrid of mobility express, I assume that you are pointing to mobility express controller ip address.

If so, we can change it using gui or cli of mobility express. If you have gui access, then you can follow the below.

You can also run the below command to change it using the command line.

(Cisco Controller) >config interface address management <ip address> < netmask>  <gateway>

thanks

Sreejith

Hello Sreejith, 

The problem is not the ip address, but the virtual mac address (VRRP) is the same on router and mobility express (AP). As you can see in attach:

How can i change the MAC address of the virtual interface of Cisco mobility express?

Thanks for the clarification. 

Normally vrrp mac address is calculated based on 00-00-5E-00-01-{VRID} (in hex in internet standard bit-order).

Mobility Express always uses MAC 00-00-5E-00-01-VRID where VRID is 1 so if you have any other instances of VRRP running in the environment, we would request you to use VRID other than 1 for those instances.

Hope that answer your question.

Thanks

Sreejith

Hello sremk,

I have the same problem posted here, and I need to know how to change the VRID in the WLC because we can not change the VRRP group number in the router (is a SP router and they do not want to change it). I have searching for information but I couldn't find a way to change it. I will thank you if you can help me.

Best Regards,

Hi Diana,

If you are running 8.8 image on Mobility express, we do have an option to change the vrid on mobility express itself.

Below is the command to do the same.

config mob-exp vrid <new vrid>

Please try the same and let me know if this helps?

Thanks

Sreejith

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card