Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing licensing level in 9800 HA SSO deployment

schulcz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys!

Freshly deployed wireless system gone into production 2 months ago. We have 2 piece of 9800 WLCs in HA SSO deployment model. Unfortunately the licensing level was not set on startup, now I would like to set it up. As I know, after changing licensing level, box(es) should be reboot.

My question is: in a HA deployment, is it possible to change licensing level and reboot controllers without clients experiences any disruption, or not?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I have not tried that either but before trying a reboot you could try "redundancy force-switchover", wait for them to come into sync again and then "redundancy force-switchover" again.  That way there should be minimal/zero impact to clients and it might get the license fully updated (because each chassis reboots when you do the switchover). 

If that doesn't work then you'll have to plan a full reboot.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I haven't done this before, but I guess you might have to reboot the controllers.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

I have not tried that either but before trying a reboot you could try "redundancy force-switchover", wait for them to come into sync again and then "redundancy force-switchover" again.  That way there should be minimal/zero impact to clients and it might get the license fully updated (because each chassis reboots when you do the switchover). 

If that doesn't work then you'll have to plan a full reboot.

It worked, thank you!

Rich R
VIP
VIP
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card