Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1130 AP

Bethuelle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Please can anyone tell me the maximum number of clients that can connect to a Cisco 1130 AP?

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mattparsons
Level 1
Level 1

I thought someone with a bit more experience would have answered this by now.

I read somewhere a long time ago that 24 clients was a good maximum...  Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

These days though, it really depends on what your clients expectations are.  If you are a hosiptal vs. an office vs. a dorm room, etc. your answers are probably going to be very different.

View solution in original post

I concur with Leo. You need to remember one very very imporant fact about 802.11 access points (regardless of the vendor) and that is that they are all HALF DUPLEX.

So take what you know about HUBs on the wired and apply similar ideas to that over wireless BUT hadd fudge to the wireless side becuase of the extensive mangament overhead.

Only 1 wifi device on channel can talk at a time. So, as Leo pointed out. If you have hungry bandwidth users you could see issues.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

mattparsons
Level 1
Level 1

I thought someone with a bit more experience would have answered this by now.

I read somewhere a long time ago that 24 clients was a good maximum...  Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

These days though, it really depends on what your clients expectations are.  If you are a hosiptal vs. an office vs. a dorm room, etc. your answers are probably going to be very different.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on the the type data clients are using.

If 50 clients occassionally (but not simultaneously) upload/download data then it's ok.  But if you have 5 clients doing HD simultaneously then Houston-we-have-a-problem.

Cisco recommends no more than 25 clients per AP, however, I've seen some who's got 38 clients per AP in a large convention centre without any issues because they just browse the net, check emails.

I concur with Leo. You need to remember one very very imporant fact about 802.11 access points (regardless of the vendor) and that is that they are all HALF DUPLEX.

So take what you know about HUBs on the wired and apply similar ideas to that over wireless BUT hadd fudge to the wireless side becuase of the extensive mangament overhead.

Only 1 wifi device on channel can talk at a time. So, as Leo pointed out. If you have hungry bandwidth users you could see issues.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks to ye all for your answers

Please mark this thread as "Answered" if you have no more questions.

Thats almost a "red bull" moment ... #imjustsaying

True. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: