Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1200 as bridge

Narius_fx
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone

I am about to use Cisco 1200 series AP as bridge , but I have seen and I have compared it with Cisco 1300 and 1400 outdoor models , and I saw that 1200 is mainly for indoor (LW).

Now the question is :

1. Can I use it as outdoor bridge for Point to Point linking ?

2. What will be maximum distance with reflector grid antennas (and patch antennas)?

3. If in practice , is it stabile ?

Thank you

8 Replies 8

andrew.brazier
Level 4
Level 4

1. Sure, just don't mount it outside as it's not weatherproof. Use an external antenna and connect the two with an antenna cable.

2. Max distance depends on the antenna type and environmental factors. Potentially several kilometers with a directional antenna.

3. Should be as stable as any wireless link. Again, environmental factors may affect it, other radios, etc.

Is this means that , if I connect a reflector grid 24dBi (directional) antenna to both ends (distance approx. 12 km) I will be able to establish a point to point wireless link as I can do with Cisco 1300 and 1400 serie APs ?

Thank you

I have used the 1232 as a bridge but only over 1-2km using yagi antenna and the link works perfect. I am currently designing several WLAN's & bridge links using the 1232 dual radios - A for backhaul and G for local clients.

Regards

Merv

Sure, if that antenna type will give you the range the AP's radio will cover the distance.

Okay then, what antenna (complete info) will you suggest to reach that distance , and more without amplifier.

Thank you

I live in the UK so amplifiers are illegal, max transmit power in these parts is 50MW for 1200 AP's and 1310 bridges. For such a solution I would either use Yagis or dish antenna depending on the range required. If you want part numbers there'll be a consultancy fee : ) but you can always check Cisco's web site. Don't forget to use low-loss antenna cables!

Okay, thank you.

Now here what exactly I need. If you know that please give me vendor(s) name and models of antennas that will support distances from 10 to 30 KMs with AP I wrote, and also cable of which brand and what type of cable I will need for that.

Don't worry about fee :)

Thanks again :)

Again I stress I can only go by what I'd install in the UK so it may not be applicable wherever you are! Also, I always try and avoid mixing vendors equipment if at all possible so I would use either one of two Cisco antenna, I've also listed antenna cables, use the shortest you can:

AIR-ANT1949 Yagi mast mount 2MB at 29.49 km.

AIR-ANT3338 Solid Dish 2MB at 42.62 km.

AIR-CAB020LL-R 6m antenna cable 1.3db loss

AIR-CAB050LL-R 15m antenna cable 3.4db loss

AIR-CAB100ULL-R 30m antenna cable 4.4db loss

Ranges and throughputs are Cisco's, you may find the biggest problem is clear line of sight over that sort of distance.

For more information check the antenna guide here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

You can have this one free of charge : ) just don't forget to award points if it's of use : )

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card