cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2504 - Internet access for Wireless users

Douglas Barker
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured a 2504 Wireless lan controller with two AP's connected, AP's are directly connected to the controllers POE port.

Port 1 is connected to a standard Quest ISP router (i think its an ActionTech DSL router) and port2 is the managment interface (laptop connected)

The WLC is configured as the DHCP server and i have setup basic WEP encryption which works fine.  Clients are unable to access the internet when connected.

The IP's are as follows:

ISP Router: 192.168.0.1

WLC Management: 192.168.0.2

AP1: 192.168.0.3

AP2: 192.168.0.4

Thinking perhaps i would need to create a static route on the WLC to the isp router, this is just a basica setup for public wifi.

AP Name             Slots  AP Model              Ethernet MAC       Location          Port  Country  Priority

------------------  -----  --------------------  -----------------  ----------------  ----  -------  ------

AP1                  2     AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9     6c:20:56:52:66:34  default location  4        US       1

AP2                  2     AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9     fc:99:47:b0:e9:ea  default location  3        US       1

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I would try changing the DHCP source from the WLC to the DSL modem.  The modem may not want to let a device out that it didn't give the DHCP to.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had issues with the ISP router serving DHCP addresses oringinally thats why created the scope on the WLC. I will try and get the DHCP up and running from ISP router and see if that helps.

One other question, is it possible to configure a static route on the WLC 2504 (ver. 7.3) it looks like there is  a commmand for it in the reference guide but not in the CLI

config route add ip_address netmask gateway

that is for forcing traffic out of the service port.  It's never been a recommended command to use

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Directly-connected APs are supported in 7.4 code, if you are not on that code then

The PoE Ports are not for the APs

Ports 3 and 4 are PoE only ports; do not connect access point devices to these ports. The ports can be used for infra-switch connection using multiple an AP-Manager or data interface

Connect port 1 to a trunk port on the switch.
configure the native vlan ON THE TRUNKPORT only eg vlan 10
Let's assume your wireless is on vlan 10 and your WLC2504 is 10.10.10.20 /24 gateway 10.10.10.1
Enable and Configure DHCP scope for vlan 10
The APs are then connected to a vlan 10 access port on the switch
Configure the SSID

DHCP server tips
- enable bridging mode if using the controller as the DHCP server, otherwise disable it. 
- if using other DHCP server and the DHCP server is in the same vlan as the controller, nothing further is needed.
- if DHCP server is on another vlan, you will need to configure option 43 (vendor specific into)

Check with these configuration it will hopefully fix your issue.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card