cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3650 + Aironet 2702i very slow downloads, but very fast uploads

mike.bird1
Level 1
Level 1

Instead of me writing a whole post again I found another individual on expert's exchange who is dealing with the exact same issue as us.  We just recently purchased a couple new 3650 48PS-S switches and (3) Aironet 2702i's APs.  Signal strength in the office (~7500 sq/ft.) is great so we have no issues there.  Since most everyone in the office is using new hardware we completely disabled the 802.11b radio and are only running 5GHZ 802.11ac.  We also disabled the single spatial stream and are only using two or three streams.  Extensive testing was done before I implemented these changes.  Long story short we have a 100Mbps down and up fiber drop from Comcast business coming into the office.  When testing we only get 40Mbps down from the Ap's however we are successful at hitting 100Mbps on the upload.  Also if we have two people do a speed test at the same time it halfs the download bandwidth to where each person get's 20Mbps.  Speeds across our local WLAN also are slow.  Doing a 7GB file transfer only amounted to about 100Mbps upload across our local network.  I figured I should get at least 400-500Mbps.

Here are the details from the individual on expert's exchange who dealt with the same issue.  The issue however was never resolved.

I have recently setup a corporate network with a Cisco 4331 Router, 3650 Switch / Wireless Controller / 3 Cisco 2702e APs. The problem I am having is I get really good connectivity 300+mbps to the APs. When I do a speedtest on wireless I get only 35mbps down and 97mbps up. This is true whether I am routing to the internet or to another computer on the local WLAN. On wired everything works perfectly 100+ mbps down and 100+ mbps up.

The whole thing doesnt make much sense to me why I would be getting faster upload than download. I have also connected Xirrus APs with a "cloud" controller to the 3650 with similar results (only 27 mbps down and 80 mbps up), so it doesnt seem like a controller issue to me since both autonomous APs and LWAPs have issues.  

I have tried the mss-adjust and doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

I thought it might be radio interference on the 2.4ghz band so I created an SSID that is 5ghz only and on that SSID I get the same results.

I did a wireshark capture on the client which showed retransmissions, dup acks, out of order, etc. However the retransmission rate was only 1.33%.

The only thing I can think of since both APs have the same issue is a switching problem due to the config on the 3650... not sure though.

I am happy to post our own configuration if that helps.  Do note that as soon as the AP's joined the wireless domain a bunch of qos configuration was added to the 3650.  I have spent hours trying to resolve this, but still no luck.  It is sad when I can bring in my asus 802.11ac $100 router and easily achieve 100Mbps down and up over 802.11ac while our $450 cisco AP's are barely getting half that.  I figured it may also be something in the switch or controller possibly a qos policy enabled by default.  Strange that we have no issues with the upload, but significant problems on the download.  Also we have bonded (4) channels at 80Mhz width.  This was all recommended to achieve maximum performance with the Aironet devices.

Thanks,

mike

2 Replies 2

istvan.kelemen1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

How many users are on the WLAN in the same time?
My proposal is to check the QoS whether is is policing the downloading speed.
I would also try to put all the AP's to Flexconnect mode with local switching.
Then I would connect 2 high speed wireless clients to this AP (to the same WLAN) and perform file copy test from one to another.
This will show you the max airspeed between the clients.

You can also connect a wired server to the switch and wireless client to the AP, then perform a file copy test. The neither switchvlan nor switchport should have any QoS policy. WLAN Client and Wires Server shall be in the same L2 domain.

Let me know if it helped :)

Javier Contreras
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please do not use WLCCA forum for general wireless issues. Moving this thread

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card