cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3802i WAP Drops

trantuan
Level 1
Level 1

Installed a Cisco 3802i WAP (software version 8.4.100.0) for about a week now.  From day one, my home cameras (some have audio telling me when it "acquired a wireless connection") were periodically dropping the WiFi and then reconnect.  Rebooted the WAP several times, looked through the configuration but nothing really stands out.  I ran some test from my PC (hard-wired) to my various cameras and wireless laptop connections.  Here is what I found:

1.  Every 135 seconds or so, the camera will drop it connection and re-connect a few seconds later.  This is happening one device at a time--i.e., camera 1 drop and reconnect, few seconds later, camera 2 drop and reconnect, few second later, camera 3 drop and reconnect and so on.  Some of the camera and wifi devices, like my laptops, reconnect faster than others but they all reconnect on their own just fine.  But the order of the drop/reconnect seem to be the same once it is established, i.e., camera 1, then 2, then 3...

2.  For a few laptops (5G connection), my wired PC don't actually drop the ping (running a continuous ping test).  But I would get 1 to 2 ms replies (local LAN) and it jump to 30+ ms about every 30+ seconds (less consistent between interval than my cameras).  Doing a continuous ping from the laptop to www.cisco.com, I am seeing the same results--normally 45 ms respond and jump to 100+ ms and time-out every now and then.  

I have not been able to figure out what is causing this.  All my cameras are constantly streaming their video to my security system so there should never be an idle timeout.  I'm not using any encryption, beside needing to know the WPA2 to connect to the WAP.  Before I swapped over to the Cisco 3802i, I ran the same devices on a Cisco WAP4410N without any problem for years.  

Any ideas?

1 Reply 1

"Installed a Cisco 3802i WAP (software version 8.4.100.0) for about a week now"

8.4.100.0 is not a code to be. I would suggest to upgrade to 8.5.161.0 or 8.10.130.0 code and observe. Those are the long live code release in AireOS

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/wireless-lan-controller-software/200046-tac-recommended-aireos.html 

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card