Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5520 WLC Deployment w/1852 AP's Assistance

Not applicable

I'm deploying a Cisco 5520 WLC and connecting 1852e AP's and have the following questions:

1 ) I've uploaded the new software image to the Controller, what is the procedure to push the image out to the AP1852 ?

2)  Receiving the following error on the ap1852 when connecting to the 5520 Controller:

"waiting for uplink IP address and reachable default gateway" I currently don't have a DHCP

server configured and the 5520 doesn't support the Internal DHCP. Do I need the ip address configured on the AP in order

to be seen by the controller or download image.

3) I've configured both the Management (ip 172.x.x.x) port and Service-Port (192.168.1.100) but when I connect my laptop directly to port 1 I can't

access the GUI from the management ip address or unable to ping management port.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1 ) I've uploaded the new software image to the Controller, what is the procedure to push the image out to the AP1852 ?

Reboot the controller and when the AP joins the controller, which should be running the new firmware, the controller will automatically upgrade the APs IOS.

2)  Receiving the following error on the ap1852 when connecting to the 5520 Controller:

Organize someone to get DHCP Option 43 enabled because this is the easiest method of getting the AP to work.  

3) I've configured both the Management (ip 172.x.x.x) port and Service-Port (192.168.1.100) but when I connect my laptop directly to port 1 I can't access the GUI from the management ip address or unable to ping management port.

What module is plugged into port 1?  It better be a GLC-T or any SFP+ or it won't work.

Not applicable

I'm curious as I've uploaded the following image to the controller:

AIR-CT5520-K9-8-3-121-0.aes

Does that cover both the Controller and AP or do I need to upload the AP image to the 

controller:

ap1g4-k9w8-tar.153-3.JE.tar

If I use the switch as a DHCP server and then later use a windows DHCP Server will I lose the AP address config ?

Yes, I definitely have a GLC-T module plugged into a netgear switch and have the AP plugged in the netgear as well.

Does that cover both the Controller and AP or do I need to upload the AP image to the controller

The firmware of the controller incorporates the firmware for the AP.  

If I use the switch as a DHCP server and then later use a windows DHCP Server will I lose the AP address config ?

Of course. 

If you use DHCP from the switch and later switch to Windows DHCP, you will get a different IP address.  Does it matter?  Probably not.   When you disable the Cisco DHCP on the switch, then when the lease expires it'll pick up a new one, and will go offline for a minute or two.

If you are relying on the IP address for management purposes, then what you SHOULD do is change the IP address of the AP to a fixed static IP so it won't change.

Not applicable

Also I do see the ap1g4 shown on the ap images on the controller so would it be necessary to load the ap1g4-k9w8-tar.153-3.JE.tar

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card