cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9120AXE EWC Client Setup

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to add another 9120 to connect to my my 9120 running EWC. It seemed to join the EWC and it shows up as an online AP, but it shows as standby, like it's another standby EWC. It also looks as if it has both the AP and the EWC image.

I was looking through the documentation and it is not very clear on this. How do I configure this AP as a client to join the EWC I already have running? Does it need a firmware reload with just the AP firmware?

Thanks.

25 Replies 25

That does not answer the question in relation to EWC. I'm aware that CAPWAP APs associate with a controller and are an AP client, but specifically, what associates with EWC? Have you used EWC before?

- All of that is similar as to how the 9800 platform(s) and subvariant(s) operate , for those category of questions ; it does not differ with EWC  (or not). The only aspect of EWC is that the 9800-code runs within an access point (with modifications and some restrictions) , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I understand that. My question is in relation to EWC's clients and what is used with EWC. Have you used EWC before?

If you want an ap to also be an EWC controller, you upload the EWC image to the ap.  The show version on the ap will show you if the ap is EWC capable and the function:

AP Image type    : EWC-AP IMAGE
AP Configuration : EWC-AP CAPABLE

Also it's not called a client, its a subordinate ap just to clarify.  Keep in mind that an EWC AP can also associate clients, and having more than one EWC AP as a controller provides you redundancy.   

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

>..My question is in relation to EWC's clients and what is used with EWC. 
 - As stated by other poster the term client is a bit confusing here , access points are not used with terminology 'clients' , the clients are the hosts connecting to the access points , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I dont think so - he often writes comments/solutions that are showíng that he never had to do anything with the requested devices.

The correct term for APs which are not acting as WLC (Primary AP) in the EWC context is subordinate APs which avoids any confusion with clients which is normally used to describe the end user devices joining the WiFi.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/ewc/17-9/rel-notes/ewc-rn-17-9-x.html#Cisco_Concept.dita_4e686689-db5f-464b-8157-92abcfd40028

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think this FAQ will help you grasp the EWC concept better than just looking for guides.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/q-and-a-c67-743152.html

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rich R
VIP
VIP

So let me add my own summary:
EWC enabled APs will run EWC by default and elect primary and standby WLC automatically.
Non WLC APs are CAPWAP only.
You can "convert" EWC AP to CAPWAP only but me and others have found this to be a little unreliable.  If the AP can't find WLC it re-activates the WLC and sometimes it seems to do it at random.  If you want to ensure an AP cannot ever become an EWC WLC then you have to remove the WLC software and the only reliable way I've found to do that is follow the re-flashing process in
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9120axi-access-point/217537-repairing-c9120-c9115-access-points-from.html
That resets it back to 8.10.130.0 CAPWAP image and you can then install the later CAPWAP image of your choice.

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Scott and Rich R! This explains everything perfectly. I just wish it was documented this way.

Scott,

Thank you for clarifying with the proper term, subordinate APs and reminding me of the QA. 

Rich R,

I tried the conversion from the EWC and it did convert it, as I checked with sh ver on the AP. It displayed the CAPWAP firmware instead of the C9800 firmware like it was showing when it was a standby EWC. Should I do the manual process anyway?

Thanks.

Give it a go like that and see - if it reverts to EWC at some point then you know you need to erase it completely to make sure it can't happen again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card