Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9800 RADIUS Accounting

I'm replacing my Cisco 5520 with a 9800 and am having an issue with RADIUS accounting.  On the 5520 I was able to create an accounting server with the IP address of my web content filter.  That way, when a user connects to the wireless using their AD credentials, the 5520 would pass the accounting info to the content filter and I was able to filter users based on their AD account (see attached screenshot.  10.16.1.100 is the IP address of the content filter).  On the 9800 I am able to create the RADIUS server for authentication, but I can't find a way to pass the accounting info to the content filter.  There isn't an option to add just the accounting serve with an IP address different from the RADIUS server like there is on the 5520.  Is this no longer an option.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

It is a bit different and in my opinion a bit stupidly done on 9800 but the bit missing from @ammahend 's answer is that you must configure "accounting-list <name>" under the "wireless profile policy <name>".
And then "aaa accounting identity <name> start-stop group <name>"
The group can be the same one you're using for authentication or a different one like you want.

We couldn't work it out at first and had to open a TAC case for TAC to tell us how to do it because it wasn't very well documented either (not sure if it's better now but TAC agreed that it could be improved).

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ammahend
VIP
VIP

Checkout this link

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/b_wl_16_10_cg/accounting.html#task_k2c_nps_xfb

or through CLI I think you can add another radius server, call it into a group and add the group as part of accounting config, something like below, I have tried it but its pretty standard for AAA.

radius server ACCT_SERVER

address ipv4 x.x.x.x auth 1812 acct 1813

key <password>

aaa server group ACCT

server name ACCT_SERVER

aaa accounting default  dot1x start-stop group ACCT

hope this helps

-hope this helps-

Rich R
VIP
VIP

It is a bit different and in my opinion a bit stupidly done on 9800 but the bit missing from @ammahend 's answer is that you must configure "accounting-list <name>" under the "wireless profile policy <name>".
And then "aaa accounting identity <name> start-stop group <name>"
The group can be the same one you're using for authentication or a different one like you want.

We couldn't work it out at first and had to open a TAC case for TAC to tell us how to do it because it wasn't very well documented either (not sure if it's better now but TAC agreed that it could be improved).

Thanks, I was missing the accounting-list statement under the wireless profile.  Its working now.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card