cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9800CL + 2 Anchors not loadbalancing

Garry Cooper
Level 1
Level 1

We have just deployed a 9800CL with 2 9800cl Anchors that sit in our DMZ.

The mobility tunnels are up to both anchors and are setup as primary and secondary.

But the issue is they don't seem to be load balancing like our legacy 5508.

If I reload the primary anchor the secondary kicks in and works.

Have I missed something in config so the anchors load balance or is this just not supported on the 9800CL.

3 Replies 3

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Is your Anchor WLC's deployed as independent WLC's? If yes add both of them as mobility peers. Then go to policy profile and add both mobility peers with same priority.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 153026.png

Arshad

Tried what you suggested but I get IP Learn on second anchors when I make this change.

Does not proceed to Run

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Gary, IP lean could be due to DHCP server reachability. Did you see any hits on the DHCP server? Where is the DHCP server located in your network.

Honestly I prefer to have the anchor controllers in HA-SSO. This will reduce the management complexity while providing robust failover. And also since this is only Anchor controllers I don't see a requirement to allocate much compute resources as well. Unless you have Prime for configuration sync you may have to manually match the configuration between 2 Anchor controllers as well. May be your design needs to have the Anchors on N+1, but check whether this would be feasible. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card