cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AIR-AP2800 Unable to update mobility-express firmware

JT83210
Level 1
Level 1

I have tried to update an AP running a mobility express-firmware via tftp, remotely and point-to-point from console, as well as remotely via the web GUI, all to no avail. 

I've been trying to update from AIR-AP2800-K9-ME-8-10-130-0 to AIR-AP2800-K9-ME-8-10-151-0, but later versions as well, and the message I get when trying to do it from the console is "Image update not needed, changing AP type to Mobility Express." I do not get any message when using web GUI. It never times out, but the progress bar never grows either.

Can anyone shed some light on why? Have you had a similar experience? I don't suppose that the update is not required has anything to do with the premise that each mobility express AP firmware is, so perfect (no bugs or security issues) that is why there is no need for an update. I understand that getting a WLC and running AP's in CAPWAP mode would resolve the issue, but the point is why should you if mobility-express is ok for small deployments with one AP acting as a wireless controller. 

Updating with mobility express firmware should be as easy as uploading the firmware to the AP acting as a wireless controller, which then should update all the AP's on its wireless network. Unfortunately, that does not seem to work.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cracked it!

Had to put in ./ for imagePath to indicate it's in the root of the folder the tftp server was already using and it started updating the image.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@JT83210 Can you post some screenshots or logs.  This way folks can review how you are trying to upgrade and possible notice a reason why you are getting that message.

Also search the bug tool and see if you find anything related to that version.  I'm assuming you only have one ap to test with, or can you test with another ap?

You are also using the zip file and extracting that correct?  Because AIR-AP2800-K9-ME-8-10-151-0.tar is used for conversion process.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have more AP's and get the same result from each and every one of them. 

I am following the guidelines in the following document re: how to update via web browser or tftp, i.e.ap-type mobility-express tftp://ip-address/file_name command, so I don't think the issue is with the syntax as the message I get is quite self-explanatory . Managing the Network (cisco.com) 

JT83210_0-1676390126476.png

I think you are using the wrong file process.  You are suppose to download the zip file, and then use the specifi file for the ap model you have.

Cisco Mobility Express User Guide, Cisco Wireless Release 8.10 - Managing the Network [Cisco Mobility Express for Aironet Access Points] - Cisco

Updating using http:

Cisco Mobility Express User Guide, Cisco Wireless Release 8.10 - Managing the Network [Cisco Mobility Express for Aironet Access Points] - Cisco

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the info Scott. I've tried that as well and the result is the same. However, I've tried to download the file to the controller via tftp from the console and this is what I get. The file verison.info is in the folder. I'm using Tftpd64 as a tftp server. 

JT83210_0-1676459485771.png

Mode............................................. TFTP
Data Type........................................ ap-image
TFTP Server IP................................... 10.xxx.xxx.xxx (ip hidden)
TFTP Packet Timeout.............................. 3
TFTP Max Retries................................. 6
TFTP Path........................................ D:\AIR-AP2800-K9-ME-8-10-151-0/

Do you want to Auto-Reboot after Complete? (y/N) y
Auto-Reboot check ENABLED!!
System will reboot within 5secs, ONLY upon Download COMPLETION to all Aps.
Configuration will be Saved before Auto-Reboot

DOWNLOAD may take some time......
Are you sure you want to start? (y/N) y

TFTP Code transfer starting.

Could not download version.info file. Error: File not found on TFTP server

Triggered APs to pre-download the image.
Controller will AUTOREBOOT once AP Image pre-download is complete.

Changed the file path to 

TFTP Path........................................ D:/AIR-AP2800-K9-ME-8-10-151-0/

and received the below, which for a moment looked promising 

TFTP Code transfer starting.

Reading AP Bundle IMAGE version info.

Could not download version.info file. Error: Connection timeout

Failed to Get AP Bundle IMAGE version info..... Please Check TFTP Params.
Transfer cannot happen without version info.

Cracked it!

Had to put in ./ for imagePath to indicate it's in the root of the folder the tftp server was already using and it started updating the image.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Yes as a general rule things like windows drive letters (D:) are meaningless to TFTP.
And all paths should be specified with forward slash /

Generally you use the root of your TFTP server / or a specific folder /myfolder/
The WLC/ME will concatenate the path and filename and that's what it will request from the TFTP server and the resulting string must make sense from the point of view of the TFTP server.  If the path/filename is incorrect you'll also see that clearly logged by the server.

You generally get a clearer view of errors from CLI when it comes to TFTP.

JT83210
Level 1
Level 1

First you need to download the image file that is over 500MB in size. Unpack it and to upgrade the AP via tftp you need to upload only one file from the folder that is relevant to your AP model. In my case it was ap3g3. Yours is the same btw. The rest is as in the solution above. I updated the AP's via the browser. As far as I can remember I was unable to do it via cli. Good luck and keep your hair on.  

JT83210
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Just like in the picture above. ./

You need to change the mode from CAPWAP to MOBILITY-EXPRESS mode (one of the links above should show how to do that). You can do that via tftp using a mobility-express firmware that is about 70MB in size the first time you change the mode.

After that if you want to upgrade the mobility-express firmware you need to download the mobility-express firmware that is about 200-500MB in size and unpack the content. Inside the folder you should see a range of files e.g. ap3g3. Then you use the method ./  above. 

I normally change the mode via cli. Make sure you have the right firmware ready and tftp server running you can do the update from.  

Try to do that via TFTP using the browser as shown above.

I hope that helps. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card