Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Business Wireless 240AC AP - New Clients are Excluded

subbz2k
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Community,

we've deployed a brand new Cisco Business Wireless 240AC Access Point in our Office to provide our internal WLAN. Currently, this is the only AP we use. It is configured as the Primary AP. It uses the Default RLAN and forwards DHCP Requests so that Clients get an IP from our internal DHCP-Server.

Everything works fine. However: Almost every new Device that connects to this WLAN is blocked for the first (round about) 60 Seconds until Access is finally granted and the Device can connect. When i have a look at "Monitoring -> Network Summary -> Clients" i can see the new Client in this list, but it's Status is "Excluded". It doesnt happen with every Device (for example i could instantly connect with my iPhone 12). But literally every Laptop we want to connect (and some older Android Devices as well) is always excluded first. We have to wait for a while (usually around 60 Seconds), try again and then the Device can connect. This is very annoying.

802.1x is not activated. We dont use that feature. From my first research on the Net i found out, that there are Exclusion Policies available on Aironet-APs and WLCs and that they block new clients for the first 60 Seconds; which is their default behavior unless one changes this configuration. This sounds familiar to how our Access Point behaves. But i have no way to change that because i dont find Exclusion Policies in the Web UI for that 240AC Access Point or any other setting that would allow me to change that behavior. The corresponding Admin Guide also doesnt show up any Result in this regard.

Can you tell me what we can do to prevent these "insta"-Exclusions from happening in the future? Is there anything that still needs to be configured on these 240AC Access Points? And there can i find it?

Many thanks in advance for your help guys!

Steffen

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Configure logging and use debugging level , have a look at the logs then generated when a new client tries to join, post outputs here , besides looking for an exclusion message also look at surrounding logs pointing to possible other problem indicators : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/wireless/CB-Wireless-Mesh/2064-Setting-Up-System-Message-Logs-CBW.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Rich R
VIP
VIP

And it goes without saying that you should make sure you're running the latest available firmware.

You might have misunderstood the WLC documentation - there is no default exclude of every client.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card