Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Embedded Wireless Controller-VLAN Configuration is not possible

gropper1929
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Community,

since this is my first post here on the forum, I hope the question was asked in the correct topic group.

We purchased several Cisco Catalyst 9120's for a small outdoor location.
Among them also 2 pieces with EWC image.

We have now commissioned the first embedded WLAN controller using Cisco's configuration guide.
Unfortunately, our controller only has the "SVI" item under the Layer 2 settings.
The items VLAN and VLAN group are missing.

Now I can't get any further with my Policy Profile, because I want/must select at least one VLAN here.
If I don't select anything here, I always end up in the network where the wireless management is configured.
The goal would be that the client comes into its own client VLAN.
Later it should even be so that the clients (cell phone / laptop) from the Cisco ISE in
own VLANs. (this would be the optimal solution)

Briefly about our environment:
Cisco C9200 Switch with POE+
Cisco 9120AXI-E with EWC image in version 17.7.1
(17.8.1 has also been tried)
Switchport configured as trunk with the accesspoint VLAN as
native VLAN
normal Windows 10 clients

Maybe someone has configured this scenario before and can help me.

Thank you very much and best regards,
Nico

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jonathga94
Level 1
Level 1

The EWC only supports flexconnect mode for all the WLANs so the local VLANs on the EWC are not needed (that's why you don't see the configuration fields) so you need to add the desired VLANs to a flexconnect profile and attach it to your APs. The link below explains how to configure flexconnect and add the VLANs to your flexconnect profile:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213945-understand-flexconnect-on-9800-wireless.html

Kind regards.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

-  So , if you are already on-track with configuring the 9120 EWC access points review current configuration with  the CLI command : show  tech wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer. You may get insights related to wrong settings in the current configuration and or correcting them may get you back in business.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

The output says that there is an SVI without an assigned VLAN.
But this is exactly my problem.
That I can't create a VLAN, because I don't have the menu item.
The SVI I have created for lack of alternatives times to test, but unfortunately that does not work.
Probably because no VLAN is created.

Interfaces: Interface SVI (vlan) detected, but no corresponding vlan entry configured. Interfaces: Vlan261
Action: None

Also via CLI no VLAN can be created.

Thanks and greetings,
Nico

- Did you create the particular vlan first ,  verify with (CLI)  show vlan brief

Also via CLI no VLAN can be created.  Can you show cli-output when this is tried ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hi,
the problem is that I cannot create a VLAN.

Here is the output of "show vlans":

WLC00DF.1DC2.8C40#show vlans
No Virtual LANs configured.

"show vlan brief" does not exist in the CLI for me.

Unfortunately, when I enter "vlan" in config mode, I can't create one either:
WLC00DF.1DC2.8C40(config)#vlan ?
accounting VLAN accounting configuration

Thank you very much and best regards,
Nico

jonathga94
Level 1
Level 1

The EWC only supports flexconnect mode for all the WLANs so the local VLANs on the EWC are not needed (that's why you don't see the configuration fields) so you need to add the desired VLANs to a flexconnect profile and attach it to your APs. The link below explains how to configure flexconnect and add the VLANs to your flexconnect profile:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/213945-understand-flexconnect-on-9800-wireless.html

Kind regards.

Hi Jonathga94,

yes I had to create the VLANs in the Flexconnect profile.
However, my mistake was that I had not specified the native VLAN.
Therefore the whole thing did not work...

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Exactly as @jonathga94  says.

However it is not mandatory to create the VLAN names in the flexconnect profile - you can also simply specify the VLAN ID (the vlan number) directly - you just type in the number (eg: 199). 

If you want to use vlan names then the names can only be defined in the flex profile as described above.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card