Helpful
Replies

Cisco Meraki bandwidth

Asfandyar70754
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Hope you are doing well.

I am using Meraki AP MR33 in my environment and they are connected to fa port of my switch.

I am using Iperf3, I have been getting 15-20 Mbits/sec bandwidth between 2 users in wireless and in wired I am getting 93-94 Mbits/sec.

Is the wireless bandwidth alright, is there some way that I could increase the bandwidth in wireless.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Fast Ethernet is pretty old these days. Many have gigabit ports on their switches or even mGig. If you want better throughput then go with gigabit. This will be 10x better than fast Ethernet, especially on wired.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if this document can be useful :

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Configuring_Bandwidth_Limitations_and_Enabling_Speed_Burst_on_Wireless_Networks

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Some things to also look at is what data rates are the devices negotiating at during the test. You always should have one device that is running as the server on wired. Keep in mind that wireless is a half duplex medium, meaning that you will only theoretically see not more than half of the rate you see the client connected at. Since your aps are connected to a fast Ethernet port, you should be able to max that out with 802.11ac and or 11n devices. Make sure that your channel width on the 5ghz is set to 40mhz or higher and that the device is connected on the 5ghz radio. Then test again.
-Scott

Hi Scott

Good day. 

Currently I am using it on Auto, I will be testing soon and sharing the results here, but what if I connect my Aps to Gig port, will I get better results?

Look at it this way. Your Ethernet port will be one of your bottlenecks. It’s like taking a laptop that supports gigabit Ethernet and connecting that to a fast Ethernet port. The other bottlenecks is channel utilization and radio band.
-Scott

HI Scott 

I tested it with 40 Mhz, but results did not get better.

please see the attached

When you test, make sure your iPerf server is on wired gigabit connection and make sure that the wireless device is connected to 5ghz and not 2.4ghz.
-Scott

So my results got better, Server(Laptop) was connected to wired Fa port and my AP is on Fa port too.

So if I upgrade my Fa switch to Gig switch then my results should get better?

If yes then how better my results are going to get?

Fast Ethernet is pretty old these days. Many have gigabit ports on their switches or even mGig. If you want better throughput then go with gigabit. This will be 10x better than fast Ethernet, especially on wired.
-Scott

Thank you Scott.

And for AC you might want to enable 80 MHz on the 5 GHz, if the environment (wireless density) allows. 

I have around 65-70 clients and I have 3 APs, do you recommend to enable 80 MHz on 5GHz?

You can give it a try if you want just to see.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: