cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Mesh, Root Ap (RAP) no Mesh ap (MAP)

lmediavilla
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a problem with a root ap, the switch that was connected is broken so now I want to make it work as a mesh AP, it connects through mesh to the WLC but is all the time registering and de-registering to the WLC, if I change from ROOTAP option to MESHAP it doesn't apply it and I cannot reboot it (it's 10 high).

Can I do something without taking it down from its current location?

kind regards

18 Replies 18

Lin Guo
Level 1
Level 1

Have you made sure MAC address being added onto MAC filter list?

Hi, I don't need to do that, I don't filter any mac

Go to WLC, security, MAC filter, add your MAP MAC there, it is required for MAP to join WLC. I had the same issue on my first provisioning years ago.

we don't use mac filter list, the ap was working as a root on the mesh topology, now without cable is entering all the time the controller

Correct, RAP doesn't need it.

"You must enter the MAC address for all mesh access points that you want to use in the mesh network into the appropriate controller. A controller only responds to discovery requests from outdoor radios that appear in its authorization list. MAC filtering is enabled by default on the controller, so only the MAC addresses need to be configured. If the access point has an SSC and has been added to the AP Authorization List, then the MAC address of the AP need not be added to the MAC Filtering List"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.0/design/guide/MeshAP_70.html#wp1194149

I must enter the mac address to the MIC certificate, that is already done because it was working on the mesh topology, on the cretificate list, not the filter list. That was done the first day this ap started working.

I managed to fix it using the WCS (wireless control system) and apply a template that changes the AP to mesh, I just have to try and try and try because the AP was registering and going away from the WLC.

Something should be implemented if a RAP loses the ethernet cable it turns into MAP, on a 4404 WLC is not possible to change the role of the AP once the ethernet interface goes down

Kind regards

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please refer to the link for Adding MAC Addresses of Mesh Access Points to MAC Filter-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.0/design/guide/MeshAP_70.html

lmediavilla
Level 1
Level 1

The only thing needed is to add the Mac to the MIC certificate, don't spam with Mac filters please. I fixed the problem with the Wireless Control System changing from root ap to mesh ap something impossible with the WLC 4404.

problem is solved.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Hi,

I am having a similar situation. how did you solve it pls ? if the RAP loses its ethernet and still is powered by AC power , you will not see it in the WLC anymore , nor in the WCS. Please let me know how you converted it into MAP via WCS  ?

regards

Joe

A RAP that looses its Ethernet will become a MAP and will try to join another RAP. If you don't have another RAP that that mesh ap can join, it will just sit there and do nothing until the Ethernet is restored.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

yes agreed. but what is the problem exactly stated in the intital post ? the RAP if it loses its ethernet is changing to a MAP, and since there was no mac filter added for that in the WLC, it was not able to join the WLC as a MAP ? but i would like to know why he mentioned that he cant do with the controller and only possible through the wcs ?

regards

Joe

First off... The AP has to be joined to the WLC for any changes to be applied. Using WCS, NCS or Prime, changes in that will not reflect the true value if the device is not in the network.

As far as Mac filters, all the RAP's and MAP's should be added to wlc's that it should be able to join. If not, then the Mesh AP will never join. So if the RAP looses its Ethernet, it will change to a MAP and join a WLC that has its MAC address in a Mac filter.

On the later code versions the RAP is suppose to fallback to a MAP, I don't know if that was available on the older WLC models or MESH AP's. The OP was able to change the RAP to a MAP on WCS, but that really never applied to the AP if the AP never joined.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

That doesn't happen in my deployment with wlc 4404 running software 7.0.240.0

, if one RAP looses the cable it won't act as a MAP, I've had that problem several times. It connects and disconnects from another RAP but just if I change the config with the WCS  to MAP (wireless control system) It starts working as a MAP.

It joins the WLC and leaves all the time, there is not any problem with certificates, when I clic on WLC from Root to Mesh it doesn't apply the value, just the WCS is able to change that. Probably with the 5508 this situation won't happen

Kind regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card