Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime 3.10.3 Speed Booster Tipps

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Prime fan community,

after a week of struggling, I finally ended up with a new Prime 3.10.3 on a VM.

Only noticable problem was the connect problem to our internal On-Prem Smart Licensing Server.

See Bug CSCvy55255.  But I had luck and I found a workaround here by deactivating "ip dnssec".

After some days of work with Prime connecting to 2 5520-WLCs and 2 9800-80-WLCs  2 9800-L-C-Guest-Wlcs, a Wism2-WLC with 2000 APs and 6000 users in this great hospital, I noticed that the new version works slower compared to our good old 3.8.1 machine running also on a separate virtual machine with identical setup regarding CPUs and hard disks.

I'm wondering about how to improve the new Prime engine to full speed.

Are there any Best practices around to help to speed up Prime interaction speed ?

For example a faster display of maps with around 200 APs on it takes around 1 minute to complete.

Or faster output of command "show application status NCS" which takes 1-2 minutes in our case now.

How can I move background jobs into nighttime ?

Who has some good tips to wake up Prime 3.10.3 ?

Thank You in advance

Wini

True Prime fan from Frankonia 

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check current prime installation mode according to : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-10/quick_start/guide/cisco_prime_infrastructure_3_10_quick_start_guide.html#con_1070235 , make sure the installation is scaled accordingly = https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-10/quick_start/guide/cisco_prime_infrastructure_3_10_quick_start_guide.html#con_1070036 , and or use hypervisor VM monitor statistics and look if the Prime-VM gets sufficient resources such as CPU and memory , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Keep in mind that the newer versions require more resources than older versions.  I would just make sure that the size that you want, meets the requirements for the specs listed in the Prime Infrastructure guide.  Also, did you do a restore or built it new?  That is the only time I had ran into issue in the past.  I had Prime 3.5 and a new Prime 3.10 running in parallel and had no issues at all.  The Prime 3.5 was installed as a Professional and the Prime 3.10 was setup as small.  I would look at the install again and maybe build a new VM and see what happens.  Building new is pretty fast to do because you would just import your devices and then your maps.  I would never restore because that has always caused issues and also you bring in the broken stuff in the db.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Thank You very much Scott and Marce1000.

I used a restore-file from old version 3.8.1 to bring the new 3.10 to life.

Would You recommend to compress the db (ncs cleanup) after  such an upgrade ?

Will this cure possible broken stuff in the db ?

Kind regards

Wini

>... to compress the db (ncs cleanup) after  such an upgrade 
  You can do that but the result is unrelated to upgrading , neither will it fix broken issues in the database  , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I don't think that will help.  Since it is a VM, I would just rebuild it from scratch.  Again, make sure the resources are met when you create the VM.  Once you get it back up, import your devices and then import your maps.  That is the best way to go in my experience and I have done many upgrades which has failed or eventually broke.  Creating a new VM is what I have been doing for many years now and it's easy and you won't have to deal with stale items in the DB.  

It's up to you what you want to try, but I think it will just continue to run slow if you don't rebuild it.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card