Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CIsco Prime Heat Map influence APs?

Dear all,

I never thought about that but after a discussion I'm no longer sure and would like to verify that.

By today I thought if I add some APs to the wireless maps that will have to influence to their function. But another person I talked to last week means it is very important to make the maps excact to have the APs function correctly.

So, for example I add two APs in a map and set them very close together just 5meter. In real they are 30 meters apart. So will the prime tell the WLC to shift down the power level? or something like that.

e.g. if the height ist not correct or so would that make trouble?

in conclusion, how much does the accurate of the map has an influence to the function of the AP? For me it was just a view tool by now.

Thank you!

best regards,
Sebastian

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Hey Sebastian, 

I used to think the same thing but the short version is no, CPI Heatmaps do not influence AP behaviour in any way, they are purely monitoring based on data sent back to the tool.

Cheers,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

View solution in original post

Ric is right!  PI pulls data from the controllers and only pushes data for templates for example.  Place ap's in one room and see if the RF changes.... I bet it will not.  I don't even have the PI heatmap enabled as I only look at hostnames, channels, utilization and or client count.

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Hey Sebastian, 

I used to think the same thing but the short version is no, CPI Heatmaps do not influence AP behaviour in any way, they are purely monitoring based on data sent back to the tool.

Cheers,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Ric is right!  PI pulls data from the controllers and only pushes data for templates for example.  Place ap's in one room and see if the RF changes.... I bet it will not.  I don't even have the PI heatmap enabled as I only look at hostnames, channels, utilization and or client count.

-Scott

-Scott

Scott u won :). TPC 10min, after 10min no Change! with 4 APs in one room just 1meter apart.

Also thanks to Ric!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card