Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime NCS appliance & license

Lam Hung Chung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm looking for getting a Cisco prime NCS appliance (PRIME-NCS-APL-K9). I'm a little bit confused regarding to the license scheme:

1. Does the appliance has any license coming with it or we need to order the license separately?

2. If I have an WLC 5508 (license support 12 APs) & 12 3500 APs, then number of devices counted will be 1 (WLC) or 12 (APs) or 13 (WLC + APs) ?

Thanks for the help,

12 Replies 12

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. No license comes with it. You'll be able to run the software but as soon as you want to manage a WLC, it will require to have a license.

2. Only APs are licensed. So if you have a WLC with 12 APs on it and a backup WLC with a 12 ap license but running empty since it's a backup, your NCS still only needs a 12 AP license.

So no need license for wired switches?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks Nico (+5) about this info.

One question though regarding the license.  Is the license similar to WCS?

For example, I plan to get 12 APs.  SO I will purchase 12 AP Base license.  Next I will purchase one box of eco-pack (10 APs) which also includes a free WCS Plus upgrade.  Will NCS accept the WCS upgrade license?

Does the new appliance have any name/ip address restrictions?  i.e. Does the NCS appliance have to have the same name/ipaddress as the old WCS?

-Robert

Leo -- They stopped the 10 upgarde license with the 3500s.

Also, NCS has different licensing models.

Wireless, Switch, and Managment as I understand it

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Leo -- They stopped the 10 upgarde license with the 3500s.

Also, NCS has different licensing models.

Wireless, Switch, and Managment as I understand it

Oh nuts. 

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

You do need a license for every managed device that you put in NCS ... that includes wired switches.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

To Robert, you do not have to use the same name or IP as the old WCS server

Thank you. Not having to match IP or name for licensing will make this a little easier.

-Robert

thomas03usmcsf
Level 1
Level 1

To Robert again, just FYI, all of your WCS licenses will transfer to NCS for a small migration fee.

Naveen Kumar
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco Prime Infrastructure for the  first time you may access the lifecycle and assurance features using the  built-in evaluation license that is available by default. The default evaluation  license is valid for 60 days for 100 devices and 150 interfaces. You will need  to purchase the base license and the corresponding feature license before the  evaluation license expires. Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 can be ordered using  the standard CiscoĀ® ordering tools at http://www.cisco.com/go/ordering. More information about getting the  license files can be found in the Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Ordering and  Licensing Guide

msonnie
Level 1
Level 1

The license does not come along with Prime NCS appliance and The AP count for  the WLC would be 12.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card