Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300 Not Giving Full POE to AP3702

m1tchsc0tt0
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am having an issue where on my SG300 with POE+ it doesn't seem like its giving full POE power to my Cisco AP3702. If I look on the WLC 2504 there is no text box showing POE statistics like I would see if I connected the AP directly to the controller it would show 15.4W (medium). I have been told with the 3702 that it should go into 4x4 mode with full POE. I find it even more weird that on the screenshots I attached for the AP connected to the SG300 switch it shows power as in Direct and not POE. Basement is the one thats connected to the WLC2504 and Garage is the one connected to the SG300. All traffic across both WLC2504 and SG300 is untagged. 

Garage.png

Basement AP.png

  Thanks,

Mitch

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

- I can't see any problems on the screenshots regarding POE , not sure if the stats on the WLC is a 'definitive pointer' neither ; a good test is to reboot the AP and just after boot connect to it and check the logs (show logging) , look for errors related to power (if any)
                  If needed checkout  Administration > Discovery - LLDP > Port Settings on the SG and enable LLDP 

Also try to obtain POE stats on the SG for the particular port.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- POE+ support may depend on the exact model that you have 
          Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-smart-switches/data_sheet_c78-610061.html
                                                  Look for PoE+ supported with find in your browser

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

m1tchsc0tt0
Level 1
Level 1

Hi M,

The switch is capable of PoE+ its model SG300-28PP 28-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Switch. I have verified within the switch interface each port is capabable of 30w.

- I can't see any problems on the screenshots regarding POE , not sure if the stats on the WLC is a 'definitive pointer' neither ; a good test is to reboot the AP and just after boot connect to it and check the logs (show logging) , look for errors related to power (if any)
                  If needed checkout  Administration > Discovery - LLDP > Port Settings on the SG and enable LLDP 

Also try to obtain POE stats on the SG for the particular port.

M.

m1tchsc0tt0
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. I found this article as well which I wonder is what I am running into looks like a very similar situation / products. https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/airoenet-2802i-on-wlc-5520-poe-dc-power/td-p/3815068

m1tchsc0tt0
Level 1
Level 1

Also verified on the CDP logs in the AP it is indeed using full power. I think like the previous article concluded its a cosmetic bug. Thanks again for the assistance. 

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Make sure the code version on your 2504 is up to date as per TAC recommended (link below). 
Current latest available is 8.5.182.11 (see link below)

Also make sure your SG300 software is up to date.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card