Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco wireless

TGF_Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Recently we came to know that 1142 N is end of sale in US and not recommended for purchase in europe. We have to purchase new Access points for our enterprise.

Which model should i go with? Is Aironet 2602 the one that we should be buying?

We are looking for 802.11n capability and pretty much ability to work the same way as 1142N

thanks for confirming...

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

No problem, hope that helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

AIR-CAP3602I-x-K9: 1,495.00

AIR-CAP2602I-E-K9: 1,095.00

AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9: 695.00

With the price-tag of the 3600, I don't plan for ac-upgrade now. Instead I only plan for the bandwidth I really need. And in two years or so I'll again look at the ac-APs that will be available then.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Powering Options
AP3600 without add-on module
• 802.3af Ethernet
• Cisco AP3600 Power Injectors (AIR-PWRINJ4=)
• Cisco AP3600 Local Power Supply (AIR-PWR-B=)

AP3600 with an add-on module
• Enhanced Power over Ethernet (PoE), 802.3at PoE+
• Cisco AP3600 Power Injectors (AIR-PWRINJ4=)
• Cisco AP3600 Local Power Supply (AIR-PWR-B=)

-Scott

17 Replies 17

If you don't have any special needs, the "smalest" AP (1600) in the actual portfolio could be enough and save you some money:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps12555/index.html

But the 2600 will for sure be a good choice.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:

Thank you . One thing that I am not clear is how to make a judgement of what type of AP to go with!

What is in the 2xxx series that is not in 1100 series?

could you give us some matrix that will help us make  this decision? How does the roadmap look like for 1100 series?

Atleast in terms of equipment we would like to look at the next 3 years to sustain with the same antennas if we decide to go with replacing all our existing 30 antennas which are 1142 N

How would you propose we go about replacing the existing antennas? I think the best way would be to phase it out slowly

When is 1142N going to be end of sale or support in europe?

Sadly, I don't have a document to compare the APs. But you can look at them product by product.

Do you have a compatible controller? About the "how to exchange them". I have the same problem at the moment and we're planning to do it the following way:

1) Change the controller (the customer still has a 4400 in use).

2) The APs will be exchanged "on demand". Most users are comfortable with the wlan, but some of the "more important" uses complain about slowliness. So their location will get a new AP first. We plan to use the 1600s. At the moment most of the AP are only ABG (1130), so the performance-gain will probably quite good even with this APs.

-- 

Hello

thank you... we use 5508 controllers and I guess this is a good controller to use regardless of the antenna.

We are an enterprise of about 700 users and I am tasked with enhancing the wireless infrastructure. And we are planning to expand the wireless to cater to atleast 3 devices per user. Currently wireless is handling 1000 users.

At the same time, we want to replace our antennas with a beter one and since we came to know about the end of sale of 1142 we would like to replace with an antenna that would be better to provide good performance for our users.

That is to give you a bit of background

I guess we might also want to look at ac in a few high concentration areas.

It depends on cost. I like to have my customers upgrade to the 3600's. this allows for the AC module, even though there are not many devices that support it. You still have to look at oversubscription of the AP's gigabit port and or your link from the access switch to the core. When using 802.11n, you can start to oversubscribe the AP's port. I typically will not allow guest or maybe some other traffic utilize 802.11n by disabling WMM on the WLAN. I still recommend 25 devices per AP but you have to look at how many device each user will have that will use up a lot of the bandwidth. Usually just laptops. So even with a phone and tablet on the wireless, you still take that into account but not as a laptop. A person usually works on one device at a time. Now if they are streaming video and or Skyping while downloading a huge file on their laptop, that's a different story.

-Scott

Good point. am looking at purchase of gigabit switches for wireless antennas. we are using fastethernet. I guess it is over subscribed already.

Now in terms of switches, i believe then the right choice would be any model that would provide 802.af

I was planning to buy WS-C2960S-48LPS-L

Is it possible to give us a list price for 2600 and 3600 antennas?

AIR-CAP3602I-x-K9: 1,495.00

AIR-CAP2602I-E-K9: 1,095.00

AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9: 695.00

With the price-tag of the 3600, I don't plan for ac-upgrade now. Instead I only plan for the bandwidth I really need. And in two years or so I'll again look at the ac-APs that will be available then.

-- 

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a matrix you can use

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/at_a_glance_c45-636090.pdf

-Scott

Thank you.. was useful..

No problem, hope that helps.

-Scott

Hi

What dies Byod optimized mean ? Does it mean it is the only ap that supports Byod ?

With reg to 3600 can we use the same antenna for both ac and spectrum analysis

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Means its ready:). Really used along side ISE. Remember that AC is a separate module that you have to purchase and it is its own radio. Now you can use the 3600 radio from spectrum but not for clients and spectrum.

-Scott

So would this approach work fine

Replacing 1142 with 2600 antennas and keeping 2 of 3600 in each floor , one where there's high concentration and one for spectrum

I am not sure about coverage of spectrum monitoring . What us the recommendation for installing it in floors. Are both modules ready for purchase

We are planning to conduct site survey , is it ok to go with 2600 for site survey then or should we use 3600

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card